Sacramento County & Valley News





 | 1850-1858  | 1859186018611862  | 1863  |  1866 |  1869 |  1870's1880's  | 1890's  | 1892 | 1896-1899 | 1900-1905  | 1906-1909  |  1910's |  1920's




Sacramento Daily Record-Union

Monday January 14, 1895 


A Vigorous Search Being Made for Them in San Francisco.

It is the opinion of the San Francisco police that the three men who made a descent on Julius FRANKLIN’s house in that city a few nights since and beat his servant because he would not conduct them to his master’s room, were the same who murdered Mr. and Mrs. F.H.L. Weber in this city a couple of weeks ago.

L.J. SIMMONS, the local detective, is now in that city searching for these men, and the police there are rounding up all the suspicious characters in the hope of finding them.

Should the right men be taken into camp there is little doubt but they can be identified, as the detectives have certain information that should render this a matter of little difficulty. This information has been known to the Record-Union for more than a week, but is of such character that to make it public would be to handicap the officers who are working up the case.

The chief object to be attained is the capture of the murderers, not the gratification of public curiosity, nor self-glorification. 


The High School Football Athletes Downed the Visitors

The Sacramento and San Francisco High School football teams played at Oak Park on Saturday, and the home team gained a decided victory. The entire battalion of San Francisco Cadets was present and quite a number of Sacramento people besides.

The game commenced about 11 o’clock, and from the start the Sacramento boys had everything their own way. They were quick and tricky, and the San Francisco team could not prevent them from making continual gains.

The contest showed superior skill in every respect on the part of the High School boys in this city. They acted on the aggressive entirely, and the ball was in their possession during most of the game. They scored three “touch-downs” and two “goal kicks,” and the final result was 16 to 0. 


It Is Admitted to Probate, and Frank Hickman Appointed Executor

Frank HICKMAN has been appointed executor of the estate of Peter McGEE, deceased, with bonds fixed at $14,000.

The will of the deceased was admitted to probate, and the court appointed as appraisers H.J. GOETHE, S.B. SMITH and M. BARBER. White, Hughes & Seymour were appointed to represent heirs.

Special Administrator W.J. IRVINE was ordered to file his report by next Friday, and notice to creditors was ordered published in the Record-Union. 

Alleged Attempt at Garroting

About 8:30 o’clock Saturday night an excited individual dashed into the grocery of Henry LAGES, on the northwest corner of Second and Q streets, and announced that two masked men had attempted to hold him up midway of the block between Q and P.

In a few minutes Special Officer R. GOODS arrived and made a thorough examination of the adjoining streets and alleys, but was unable to obtain any trace of the highwaymen. 

Young Was in Luck

The case of M.C. YOUNG, charged with mayhem, was called in Department Two of the Superior Court Saturday.

Young had an altercation with Jacob GEBERT some time ago, and in the melee he managed to get Gebert’s ear in his mouth and bit a piece of it.

He was allowed to withdraw his plea of not guilty and pleaded guilty to simple assault. He was sentenced to pay a fine of $60, or serve a like number of days in the County Jail. 

Two Matrimonial Misfits

Thomas J.E. DUNK has been granted a divorce by Superior Judge JOHNSON from Rosina Dunk, on the grounds of cruelty and desertion.

Superior Judge CATLIN has granted Rose L. NEUHAUS a divorce from Henry NEUHAUS on the grounds of desertion and failure to support. 

Served Him Right

A tramp called at the residence of Bert KIDDER on Saturday evening, and when Mr. Kidder’s mother went to the door he demanded money, at the same time making an attempt to catch her by the throat.

Just then Bert showed up, and when he got through toying with that tramp the fellow looked as if he had been run through a rock-crusher.

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Sacramento Daily Record-Union

Monday, February 11, 1895 


“Shy Red” Reported to be in the San Bernardino Jail

George Sprout Broke Jail to Put the Murderers on Their Guard - Identity of the Men

For several weeks past the officers have known that Joe and Bill Sprout and one Harry SANDS, alias ANDERSON, known in criminal and hobo circles as “Shy Red,” were the men wanted for the Weber murder, and have been trying to locate them, but thus far without success, except in the case of “Shy Red,” who is reported captured in San Bernardino. As the other guilty parties are well aware that they are wanted, it may be just as well that the public be fully informed, in the hope that they may all be gathered in. The matter has passed the stage where further secrecy on the part of the press would be of avail.

Officer WILSON is credited with having made the discovery that one of the coats found in the rear of the Weber store belonged to Sands (or Anderson), and other circumstances transpired to connect the Sprout brothers with the crime.

The Sprouts have figured in the criminal annals of this city and county ever since they were small boys, and they, as well as Sands, have been inmates of the State Prisons. Even now they are wanted in Los Angeles for crimes committed there.


W.H. SPROUT, alias Charles SMITH, better known as Bill Sprout, is 30 years of age; born in California; weight, 160 pounds; hight, about five feet six inches; eyes, hazel or brown; hair, brown; face smooth shaven; complexion, dark; two vaccine marks on left arm; woman’s head and bust traced on right forearm; star on left hand near the thumb; scar on right hand near little finger; mole on the right cheek.

Joseph Sprout, alias John MORRIS, is aged 28; native Californian; weight, 160 pounds; hight, about five feet eight inches; eyes, brown; hair, dark; complexion, dark; small dark moustache; mole on left cheek.

Harry Sands, or Sanz, alias “Red,” alias “Shy Red,” is about 31 years of age; weight, about 165 pounds; hight, about five feet eight and one-half inches; eyes light or blue; sandy complexion; moustache, medium size, trimmed; light red hair; German descent; neat appearance for hobo tramp; usually wears blue flannel shirt; dark felt hat.


How the Identity of the Guilty Parties Was Discovered.

A Record-Union reporter has been keeping pace with the officers in their work on the case, and this is how he tells the story of the discovery of the identity of the murderers:

The first really authentic clue to the identity of the Weber murderers was obtained by Officer W.P. RUTHERFORD, while engaged in tracing the perpetrators of a robbery that occurred on December 20th in the town of Capay, Yolo County, when the store of W. TANDY was robbed of a quantity of gloves, three blue combination coats and two pairs of gum boots.

Portions of the proceeds of this robbery were offered for sale by George Sprout, who was acting as a go-between for his brothers Joseph and William, who, in company with “Shy Red,” alias Anderson, alias Sands, and another man named HAGERTY, were under suspicion of having committed not only this particular robbery, but were also wanted for the looting of a store at Woodland and the blowing up of a safe at Latrobe.

The officer captured George SPROUT on the street one evening, a few days after the commission of the Weber murder, and openly accused him of being an accessory thereto. This Sprout strenuously denied, but admitted that his brothers and their pals had committed various burglaries.


Rutherford then told Sprout that he was convinced that his brothers had also committed the Weber murder. At first Sprout absolutely denied that his brothers had participated in the crime, but eventually weakened and acknowledged that they were present. He promised - if it could be arranged that his brothers be allowed to turn State’s evidence - that he would betray the other guilty parties into the hands of the police. This was agreed upon, and he informed the officer where the proceeds of the Capay affair were secreted.

In the meantime the clothing worn by the murderers had been discovered and taken to the Police Station.


Officer Wilson obtained information that led him to suspect the same parties of being implicated in the murder, and also learned that Ellis HARLOW had presented a coat to “Shy Red.” Harlow went to the police station and positively identified the garment.

It has also been learned that on the night of the Weber murder “Shy Red” borrowed a pistol at the Steamboat Saloon on Front street, which he has not returned to its owner.


On the 8th of January the Sprout gang came back to Sacramento and arranged to procure a room in the Gleeman House at Third and J streets. After the commission of the Weber murder (on the 2d of January) they left Sacramento and made a trip up through Marysville to Red Bluff, returning by way of Willows and Woodland.

On their return to the city they communicated with George Sprout and gave him a new canvas coat, part of the proceeds of a recent robbery, telling him to dispose of it and procure some opium. On that day, the 8th, they were seen on Front street by Andrew BLACK, who notified Officer Wilson, but they could not again be found.

As George Sprout was walking along Third street, toward K, he ran into the clutches of Special Officers FITZGERALD and WARNER, who arrested him on suspicion. The others witnessed the arrest, and fearing that George Sprout might prove faithless, they fled the city, going to Oakland.

George Sprout, after being locked up, made repeated inquiries for Officer Rutherford, saying he had something to tell him The following morning when Rutherford reported at the station he was informed that Sprout wanted to see him. He went to the prisoner’s cell, and there learned of the presence of the gang in Sacramento.


Rutherford then laid all his information before Chief DREW, and requested that George Sprout be allowed his liberty. This was agreed upon, and the latter then scoured the city in search of the murderers, but without success, as they had already fled.

On January 20th, officer Wilson placed George Sprout under arrest on a charge of vagrancy, and pending his trial he made many important confessions to Sergeant PLUNKETT and Officer BALZ, all of which have helped forge the chain connecting the gang with the murder of the Webers.


was obtained by Sheriff JOHNSON in the following manner. On January 3d a man giving the name of Lee ATKINSON was brutally beaten in the vicinity of Twelfth an K streets, and Sheriff Johnson, while investigating the matter, found that a man had purchased a new pair of shoes at a second-hand clothing store on K, between Second and Third.

After paying for them he removed the pair he wore and threw them into a corner of the store, put on the new ones, and disappeared. The shoes were literally soaked with blood. The Sheriff produced his book of criminals’ photographs, an the dealer immediately identified William Sprout as the party who had purchased the shoes.


At the time Harlow identified the coat at the Police Station one of the officers entered and inquired of Wilson if the clothing had been recognized, and Wilson informed him of the facts in his possession.

This information was imparted to a private detective, who immediately started in quest of the Sprout gang. Officer MALEY obtained leave of absence and also left the city in search of them. They made a thorough search of the surrounding towns, without success, and then went to San Francisco and Oakland. Ex-Police Captain BRADLEY was in San Francisco at the same time and on the same errand.

Bradley’s method of proceeding, as the story goes, aroused the ire of a detective, who gave to a Bee reporter the facts in the case. The interview took place on Thursday last. Of course, under the circumstances, there was no longer any necessity for withholding the facts from the public.


George Sprout., who had been convicted on the charge of vagrancy and sentenced to a term of six months in the County Jail, became convinced that the officers were playing him false, and did not intend to allow his brothers to turn State’s evidence. So he made up his mind to escape and give them warning.

This intention he carried into effect on January 28th by secreting himself and breaking through the stone-yard wall with an ax while the other prisoners were at dinner and the officers in charge were still in their dining-room.

On making his escape he hurried to the room of an acquaintance on L street, between Second and Third, and procured a partial change of clothing .He then proceeded to the residence of Ed. JORDAN, who is well known in police circles, and who lives at Seventh and D streets. Jordan was absent when he arrived, and as it was essential to find him so as to procure some money and information as to the probable whereabouts of his brothers, Sprout, after making a search through Chinatown, returned twice to the Jordan residence, although fully aware that he ran great risk of recapture.


Being unable to meet Jordan, and finding that the entire police and Sheriff’s forces were in pursuit of him, he jumped a freight train and went to Davisville, where he passed an entire day. There he obtained information that led him to believe “the gang” was in Oakland.

He immediately left for that place, where - at least he so informed a Record-Union reporter - he joined his brothers and gave them full warning.


The probability is that the gang scattered and left by different routes for more congenial climes, as a man believed to be “she Red,” who is supposed to be the one who wielded the ax on the Webers, was captured on Saturday morning in San Bernardino. He was alone, and is thought to have been making his way toward the Mexican line in the hope of escaping.

The description sent from San Bernardino of the man under arrest there tallies with that of “Red,” and the officers here are confident the right man has been caught. An officer has been detailed to go to San Bernardino to inspect the catch.

In the meantime no knowledge has been obtained as to the whereabouts of Joe and Bill Sprout. 

Rumor About Worden

It is said that President Cleveland has wired Warden AULL of the Folsom Prison for information as to the date fixed for the execution of S.D. WORDEN, the Yolo train wrecker. The supposition is that the President is considering an application for the prisoner’s pardon. 

The Husband Got It

Superior Judge Catlin has granted John HOFFELT a divorce from Elizabeth M. Hoffelt on the ground of cruelty.

Mrs. Hoffelt had originally filed a suit for divorce from her husband, and in the later’s answer he made counter charges against her, with the result stated. 

No Well regulated household should be without Angostura Bitters, the celebrated appetizer. Manufactured by Dr. J.G.B. SIEGERT & Sons. Ask you druggist. 

The Governor has been inaugurated, but don’t fail to see the inauguration of King Carnival at the Sacramento Athletic Club masquerade, February 27th. 

The leading music store in Northern California is the Copper Music Company (Neale, Eilers & Co.), 631 J street. 


W.C. WALLACE of Auburn is at the Capital Hotel.

A.E. RUDELL has gone to Red Bluff for a short visit.

Governor BUDD spent Sunday at his old home in Stockton.

F. HARRINGTON of Colusa is registered at the Golden Eagle.

Sol RUNYON, the Courtland fruit-grower, is in the city.

L. ELKUS, the San Francisco merchant, is at the Golden Eagle.

Mr. and Mrs. Bart BURK of Santa Cruz are at the Capital Hotel.

Ex-Judge S.C. DENSON came up from San Francisco on Saturday.

Editor C.D. RADCLIFFE of the Merced Sun has been visiting the city.

Supervisor T.A. HENDER and Recorder L.P. CANNON of Tuolumne County are in the city.

On Saturday evening Miss Flora POLLACK gave a birthday party at her home, 718 Eighth street.

The many friends of A.J. HEALY, the newspaper reporter, will be pleased to learn that he is recovering from a severe attack of typhoid fever at his home in San Francisco.

Josie R. McMAHON and Henry S. McMAHON were surprised by a party of their young friends at their home in Oak Park on Friday evening. A delightful time was enjoyed by those present. Music and games were enjoyed until a late hour, when refreshments were served, and the merry guests departed.

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




Sacramento Daily Record-Union

February 28, 1895



Close of the Career of Bishop Patrick Manogue

After a Lingering Illness - Sketch of His Life and Religious Work - The Funeral Next Tuesday

   After a lingering illness, Bishop Patrick Manogue of the Sacramento Diocese of the Catholic Church passed away at an early hour yesterday morning. His death had been almost hourly anticipated some weeks past, though he was conscious to the last, and shortly before he died he gave instructions to Father Grace and the other clerical members of his household regarding affairs of the diocese.

  Rev. Father Grace had been unremitting in his attendance upon the Bishop, and was one of those present at the bedside of the dying prelate. The others were Vicar-General LYNCH, Fathers HUNT, KLYNE and WALSH, Miss Minnie FOGARTY, the Bishop’s niece, and Miss KELLY of Napa.

  It had been hoped that the beautiful chime of bells which Bishop Manogue recently had made in the East and presented to the Cathedral of the Holy Sacrament, as his personal gift, would be in position to ring out the “Angelus” before his death occurred, but this hope was not realized. The bells are nearly ready, however, and will probably be heard for the first time on Tuesday next, the day of the Bishop’s funeral.

  The death of Bishop Manogue was not announced at the Ash Wednesday services yesterday morning, as Rev. Father Grace, who officiated, was too deeply affected over the sad scene in the death-chamber which he had just left to perform his duty at the altar, to trust himself in an attempt to break the news to his congregation. It was, however, known to many of those who knelt and prayed in the early morning hours in the handsome Cathedral which their beloved Bishop erected here soon after taking up his residence in this city.

  Bishop Manogue leaves two married sisters, who reside in San Benito County, both of whom are well advanced in years. The husband of one died there a week ago.

  Ever since his coming to this city Bishop Manogue had enjoyed the respect of everyone, irrespective of religious belief, and to those to whom he was personally known he had endeared himself by his manliness, his piety, his charitableness and his liberality. Though resolute and unflinching in matters of faith, he always manifested a tender regard for the feelings of those who were not of his belief. He had encountered the rough edges of adversity in his youth, and by his long association with men in the humbler walks of life he had imbibed a degree of charitableness for the failings and weaknesses of human nature that many otherwise good men have never experienced.

 Bishop Manogue possessed in a high degree the attributes of a Christian leader. He had a nature as tender as that of a woman, a heart that beat with love for all of God’s children, a meek and humble spirit, combined with strength and determination in all things which he deemed necessary for the spiritual welfare of those intrusted to his charge.

  Though he had spared no necessary expense in the erection and embellishment of the handsome Cathedral that stands as a monument to his name, his last years were lived almost as plainly and unostentatiously as those he passed while laboring as a common miner. His apartments at the episcopal residence adjoining the Cathedral were plainly but comfortably furnished, and he was abstemious and self-denying in all things. His chief happiness seemed to come from his daily works of charity - in relieving distress and contributing to enterprises calculated to help humanity.

  In anticipation of the Bishop’s death steps had already been taken to prepare for his funeral, which will doubtless be a very imposing affair. It is expected that Archbishop RIORDAN of San Francisco will officiate, and that prominent Catholic clergymen from various parts of the state will be here to participate in the ceremony. The funeral will take place at 10 o’clock A.M. and the interment will be in St. Joseph’s Cemetery.

               AN ACTIVE LIFE

A Brief Outline of the Late Prelate’s Career

 In the “History of Sacramento County,” complied in 1890, appears the following biographical sketch of Bishop Manogue:

 “The great spiritual see over which this gentleman presided embraces the twenty-five northern and central counties of California and the whole of the western and most populous portion of the State of Nevada. It was practically created for him in 1886. For the laborious duties entailed upon the Bishop of a field so extensive and including the mining regions of the Sierra Nevada, probably no one could be better fitted than the affable Bishop Manogue, because of his life and training and his singularly clear judgement of human nature.

  “Patrick Manogue was born in the County of Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1831. At the city of Callan, in that county, he pursued his early studies and there resided until he left for America in 1849. After a few years spent in the Eastern States he continued his studies at the University of St. Mary’s of the Lake of Chicago. During the cholera epidemic in 1854 in that city he wore out his health in the arduous labors of the time, and for the purpose of recuperating he lived for fourteen months the hard life of a miner in Nevada County, in this State, learning by actual experience the privations and hardy pleasures of this rough but sturdy phase of human life.

 “In the address delivered by him at the laying of the corner-stone of the beautiful Cathedral in this city, he said he held a drill when at every strike of the hammer the fire flew form the flintlike quartz. Whenever hard work was to be done he referred to his associates in the mines to prove that he was ready to take a hand in its performance. Those were the days when the thrift, the brawn of the State was in the mountains.

  “He lived for three years in the mines, and then went to Paris, where, at the Seminary of St. Sulpice, he completed his studies in a course extending over four years, and in 1861 was ordained a priest by Cardinal MORLOT, his special mission being to work on the Pacific Coast.

  “While on his way to California he stopped in Virginia City, Nev., where he was appointed to the pastorate of the Catholic Church there. For twenty years thereafter he labored in that field for the good of souls, and during the last fifteen years of that period he was Vicar-General of the diocese of Nevada.

  “He erected the first Gothic building in Virginia City, costing $80,000. During his priesthood there he built three churches, a convent and a hospital at a total cost of about $300,000, all of which sum was collected by himself and every debt he had contracted was discharged. His residence in Virginia City is remembered with veneration, love and affection by everyone in that section, irrespective of sect of church, for the ready hand of Father Manogue had helped multitudes of people through seasons of distress and suffering.

  “In 1880 he was appointed Coadjutor to Bishop O’CONNELL of the Grass Valley Diocese, and four years later he succeeded that prelate, who, by reason of advancing years, was permitted to retire.

  “In 1886, owing to Bishop Manogue’s representations regarding the growing importance of Sacramento as the official head of the State and the distributing point of trade, Pope Leo XIII, decreed that thenceforth what had been known as the Catholic Diocese of Grass Valley should be known as the Diocese of California, with the seat of the Episcopate at Sacramento City.

  “At once he set about utilizing his rare combination of business qualifications and theological attainments to better the condition of the diocese under his charge.  Recognizing the necessity for a more representative house of worship than then existed, he bent his energies to the task of building a new edifice, and the result was the erection of the grand Cathedral of the Holy Sacrament at Eleventh and K streets, that is recognized as the finest church building west of the Missouri River. It was completed in 1889, and the dedication ceremony was probably the most elaborate of a religious character that had been witnessed in the State.”

  In addition to the stately Cathedral, Bishop Manogue erected a handsome residence on the same half-block, where he resided with Rev. Father Grace, pastor of the parish, and his assistant clergyman.

               A MAN OF NERVE

Incidents That Illustrate the Deceased’s Personal Courage.

  Several stories are told which illustrates the character of the deceased prelate. On one occasion Father Manogue had to make sick calls which compelled him to make long journeys to distant regions throughout Nevada, to Austin, Lander County, or Reese River, as it was then called, a distance of 180 miles, over rough roads and dreary deserts, often swept by wintry blasts and buried deep in snow. One such call was to prepare for his death a man condemned to be hanged. In the discharge of this office he discovered something meritorious in the man’s case, and plunging through wintry wastes on an errand of mercy, he procured a reprieve form Governor NYE, followed it up with a petition and other appeals, and by his zeal and influence ultimately secured the culprit’s liberation.

  He had frequently to go to Walker River and sometimes to Aurora, Esmeralda. On one occasion, arriving late at Wellington’s Station, Walker River, he had not other bed but the floor of the barroom, in the midst of a few dozen hard cases, teamsters, etc.

  Mrs. JOHNSON, proprietress of the house, accidentally discovering that a priest was occupying a portion of the floor with the teamsters, had her husband arise from bed and hunt up the clergyman, whom he found with his saddle for a pillow, but no covering or blankets. The kindly couple vacated their own bed for him.

  Johnson was subsequently the immediate cause of the organization of a vigilance committee which hanged three men. Father Manogue was in Austin when friends of the doomed men telegraphed for him to Virginia City. The dispatch was forwarded to him at 9 o’clock at night. He instantly arose, ordered his horse and prepared for the journey. He telegraphed to the President of the vigilance committee, asking him if he could get through before the appointed time, or the execution be postponed. The reply was “Impossible.” The dispatch from Aurora arrived in Austin about midnight, the office being kept open on account of the excitement. The pleasure of the hardship was denied him, and he was obliged reluctantly to send back his horse to the stable.

  Once, when on a sick call toward Pyramid Lake, a portion of the Truckee Meadows was flooded where the old road meandered. He kept on till he was equally distant from land on every side. Soon the horse began to swim, having lost footing, and few can imagine the horrors of that journey, it being late and dark. Wet as he was he had to go ten miles yet, notwithstanding the cold and his condition.

  At another time he had to ride twenty-five miles during the night to attend a dying lady. Having arrived at the house, the husband of the lady met him at the door, presenting a revolver, and swore all sorts of oaths that no )_____ priest should enter his house. After some parleying the cruel husband was on his back and the priest had possession of the revolver and full sway in the house, where he discharged his religious duties toward the dying woman.

  When Colonel O’CONNOR was deposed at Auburn by the English company who sent new officers to take charge of their imaginary mines in the Truckee Meadows, O’Connor opposed the new officers, receiving them only with shooting irons and hostile threats. Just after the scrimmage Father Manogue arrived and set to work to calm hostilities. Then the new officers repaired to Stone & Gate’s bridge of the Truckee, while the warlike Colonel paraded about Auburn looking for new victims, as he thought he had five of the Englishmen already silent from the affects of his ready revolver.

  Soon Father Manogue was riding through the Colonel’s hostile camp, and as soon aas the Colonel’s shotgun leveled at him. Being dark, the Colonel did not know him. After hearing the scream to halt or be shot the horse was soon reined up. O’Connor, under the influence of liquor and full of excitement, portrayed his encounter with the Englishmen and described where five lay dead. Father Manogue was invited to a glass of wine in the Colonel’s cottage, and, while sitting at the table, a dozen of rifles were leveled at the table by the Sheriff’s posse detailed to arrest the slaughterer of the Englishmen. O’Connor was determined not to be taken alive, but at the solicitation of Father Manogue he gave himself up provided the priest would accompany him. So the Colonel and Father Manogue rode on to Glendale by moonlight, surrounded on every side by rifles and glittering knives.

  How he saved O’Connor when the infuriated miners were preparing to hang him has been often told. He was the first to telegraph to Sharon on the trouble arising between the miners and Chinamen, and dictated the terms which were afterwards adopted.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




Daily Bee, Sacramento

Thursday April 18, 1895




Marsden MANSON, of San Francisco, is in the city.


Mrs. Laura HOOPS and Miss Lottie KREBS are visiting San Francisco.


Fred ELLIOTT and bride returned yesterday afternoon from Placerville. The were given hearty reception by their friends.


Mrs. I.C. PIERSON, Past Protector of the Grand Lodge of Knights and Ladies of Honor, is attending the Grand Lodge in San Francisco.


T.E. STILLMAN, an attorney of New York, who is a Director in the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, and represents the Searles' interests, arrived in Sacramento last evening by special train. He was accompanied by W.G. CURTIS, of San Francisco. Mr. Stillman left for the East to-day.


Frank R. SWAIN, the well-known deputy in the State Controller's office, was married at Weaverville at 8 o'clock last evening to Miss Georgie HUPP, of that place. The wedding was a quiet affair and took place at the home of the bride. Rothwell HYDE, of St. Helena, acted as bridegroom. Mr. and Mrs. SWAIN will arrive in Sacramento to-morrow and will make their home here.


Charles SCHERMAN and Julia WALTERS were married at high noon Wednesday, April 17th, at the residence of George SCHERMAN, 712 Eighth Street. The bride is the daughter of William WALTERS, an old resident of Nevada City. The groom is an employe of H. FISHER & Co., of Sacramento, and is a bright and energetic young man. He is a son of Charles SCHERMAN, a well-known merchant of North San Juan. Miss Betty WOODSON of Stockton, was bridesmaid, and Charles WELLER, of Sacramento, acted as best man., Rev. Father GRACE officiating. All partook of a wedding repast. The happy couple left on the afternoon train for San Francisco, and on their return will make Sacramento their home. The bride received many beautiful presents.




Joseph E. McGLINCHY committed suicide at the home of his mother, in San Francisco, on Tuesday night, by hanging. It is supposed that the deed was done about 10 P.M., and that the young man's mind had become deranged from reading about the Emanuel Church murders.

David Percy WEINTRAUB, aged 28 years, committed suicide at his residence, 705 Natoma Street, at 9:30 P.M. Tuesday, by poisoning himself. The motives for the deed are not known. Weintraub had been in an unhappy and morose frame of mind for several weeks before committing suicide.




D. DIERSSON and A.D. CHRISTIANSON, who conduct markets on the north side of J Street, between Seventh and Eighth, were tried in the Police Court this morning for violating the ordinance relative to the obstruction of the sidewalk. They were found guilty and fined $5 each, with the alternative of serving five days in jail.


Purity of food is next to purity of character. Pure food is assured with Dr. Price's Baking Powder.




Dell Murphy, Jeff Marshall and G.W. Calloway Sent to Prison


Judge CATLIN sentenced a batch of offenders this morning. Dell MURPHY and Jeff MARSHALL, charged with the robbery of W. LOUGHEAD, withdrew their plea of not guilty and pleaded guilty. MURPHY was sentenced to three years' imprisonment in Folsom and MARSHALL to two years imprisonment in the same place. Nettie WILSON, the woman who decoyed LOUGHEAD to the place where the robbery was committed and who turned State;'s evidence, was discharged.


G.W. CALLOWAY, the Galt firebug, pleaded guilty to one charge of arson, and the other charges were dismissed. He was sentenced to ten years' imprisonment.




The highest point reached in the oil fluctuations yesterday in Pittsburg was $2.70.

Among the passengers arriving yesterday in New York by the White Star liner Majestic from Liverpool and Queenstown was Hon. George DURSON, M.P., who is to marry Miss LEITER.

At Telluride, Colorado, Tuesday, Haywood WILLIAMS, a Southerner, shot Grace WHITE and himself in a house of illfame, as the result of a lovers' quarrel. Both are thought to be fatally wounded.




The Man Who Rode a "Bike" on the Sidewalk Not Responsible


William G. WIBLE, who was arrested yesterday for riding a bicycle on the sidewalks, was ordered released from custody by Chief of Police DREW.


"The fellow is crazy," said the Chief ro a Bee reporter to-day, "and he did not know what he was doing. He was for a time confined in an Insane Asylum."


The Chief took the occasion to remark, however, that all wheelmen would not escape so easily. He said that the sidewalks are for the benefit of pedestrians, that there is a law against riding bicycles on the walks, and that he proposes to enforce it.


In this determination the Chief will have the support of all the citizens of Sacramento.


The Capital Park Commissioners should pass similar stringent orders for Capital Park. The insolence and brutality of some of these bicycle riders is becoming offensive to the people.


Never trust the spurious baking powders. Use only Dr. Price's. It's pure strong, sure and wholesome.




Held On a Charge of Garroting in San Francisco

"Bill" SPROUT, one of the WEBER murder suspects, has been arrested and held to answer to the Superior Court in San Francisco, on a charge of garroting. He stood up and robbed a man a few nights ago on Stevenson Street.




Ulrie COLLINS, a young California actor, formerly engaged in the newspaper business in Chico, is now playing a prominent part in one of A.M. PALMER's and W.A. BRADY's "Trilby" companies in Boston, and when it goes upon it's tour he will act as stage manager, Mr. COLLINS has been engaged by W.A .BRADY to play the leading role in one of his companies next season.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




Daily Bee, Sacramento

Friday April 26, 1895




The death is announced of Mary, wife of the late William Ingram, and mother of Alexander, William and Scott Ingram, and Mrs. E.L. McCASLIN, at the advanced age of 7* years and 5 months. Mrs. Ingram was a native of ***tland. She was a most estimable woman and led a *eeful life.




Two Warrants in Connection With Chinese Lotteries

In the Police Court this morning Lottie BURKS, charged with being drunk, forfeited a deposit of $5.


Ah KEUNG, a Chinaman, who is charged with selling lottery tickets, on complaint of Officer BAGLEY, pleaded not guilty and desired a continuance in order to obtain counsel. His case was then continued until to-morrow morning.


W.H.H. WILLEY, who keeps the store where Ah Keung sold lottery tickets, was charged with letting a building for lottery purposes. He pleaded not guilty and had his case continued until to-morrow morning.




Canton Sacramento, No. 1. Patriarchs Militant, I.O.O.F., has elected officers for the ensuing year as follows: Captain Oliver W. ERIEWINE; Lieutenant, William E. BOWMAN; Ensign, Adolph La FRIT; Clerk, William A. STEPHENSON; Accountant, Charles W, BAKER; Standard Bearer, O.F. BABCOCK; Guard, W.I. PARMER; Picket, P.L. PAUL; Sentinel, W.L. BRUNSON.




Suicide of Mrs. Maggie Barrett Yesterday Afternoon


When Thomas R. BARRETT, a mechanic in the railroad shops, went to his home at 3005 J street shortly after 5 o'clock he did not find his wife as usual at that hour in the kitchen. He instituted a search for her and found her lifeless body suspended from a rafter in the basement. She had stood upon a chair until she adjusted the rope and then kicked it out from under her. Her feet were within a few inches of the floor.


The only cause that can be assigned for the deed it that she was slightly demented. An inquest will be held this evening. She leaves a little daughter 11 years of age.




The estate of the late L.S. TAYLOR has been appraised at $4750.


The contest over the estate of the late Mary G.N. FERU has been continued until Monday next.


Division Superintendent J.B. WRIGHT has returned from Wadsworth, Nevada, to which point his official jurisdiction is to be extended.


Andrew J. IMBERG, a native of Sweden, has been admitted to citizenship by Judge JOHNSON.


His witnesses were W.A. GILBERT and W.H. BIRDSALL.




The solemn dedication of St. Francis' Church, Twenty-sixth and K streets, will take place next Sunday morning at 10 o'clock. Very Rev. Father GRACE, Administrator of the Diocese, will perform the dedication ceremonies. Rev. Father Maximillian, O. S. F., of San Francisco, will be the celebrant of Solemn High Mass. Rev. Father RIORDAN, S. J., of Santa Clara, will preach in English and Rev. Father LEO, O. S. F., of San Francisco, will preach in German. All are cordially invited.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




Sacramento Bee

Thursday, September 12, 1895


Her Life Ended.


Her Husband Was Once Mayor, and They Were Old Sacramentans

 Charles M. PRODGER of this city this morning received a telegram announcing the death at her home in San Francisco last night of Mrs. B.B. REDDING, wife of the late B.B. Redding and mother of Joseph D., A.P.R. and Dr. George H.H. REDDING.

  Her husband, B.B. Redding, an old resident of this city, held many places of public trust. At one time in the early days he was associated with the late James McCLATCHY in the conduct of the old State Journal.

  Mrs. Redding was born in Massachusetts and married the late B.B. Redding in 1846, in Boston.

  On their arrival in this State the Reddings located at Sacramento, of which city B.B. Redding was subsequently elected Mayor. He was also proprietor of the State Journal. After the completion of his term as Mayor he served as Secretary of State, and later, during the Administration of Lincoln, was United States Land Commissioner for this State, which paved the way to his subsequent appointment as the first land agent for the Central and Southern Pacific Railroad Companies. As such he organized the land department of the two corporations for the management of their land grants. He was an accomplished writer and contributed many valuable papers to the literature of the State on scientific and industrial topics. He was also President of the California Academy of Sciences for a time and a member of the Board of Trustees, and he organized and was President of the State Board of Fish Commissioners up to the time of his death.

  After that event, Mrs. Redding continued to reside in San Francisco, devoting much of her time to the charities and other organizations for the public good, in which she took a special interest.

  During the War Mrs. Redding was chairman of the Woman’s Relief and Hospital Corps of this State, and was also President of the State Woman’s Hospital in San Francisco.

  The funeral is announced to take place from the Redding residence, 2100 California Street, Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, and will be private.



Thomas Cahill’s Desperate Attempt at Suicide


His Wife Had to Run From the House to Save Her Own Life, He Having Threatened to Kill Her - Was Probably Crazed by Drink

 Thomas Cahill, an old and well-known citizen of Sacramento, residing at Eighteenth and J streets, who has been employed for many years as a nightwatchman at the railroad shops, made a desperate attempt this morning to commit suicide. It is a miracle that he did not succeed at the first trial.

            CRAZED BY DRINK

   Cahill has been taking a rest since the first of the month, and, it is said, has been drinking so heavily that his mind became affected.

  About 10 o’clock this morning a telephone message was received at the Police Station, saying that a man at northeast corner of Eighteenth and H Streets had attempted to kill his wife, and had then shot himself.


 Officers MALEY and LOGUE went to the locality and learned form a neighbor that Cahill had flourished a knife and threatened to kill his wife, who became frightened and ran out doors. Cahill followed her, and for a long time walked up and down the sidewalk.

            A PISTOL SHOT

  Finally he went into the house, and in a few moments a pistol shot was heard.

  The officers entered the house, tip-toeing through rooms and hallways. They did not want to disturb Cahill for fear he might shoot them. They found him lying upon a bed in a darkened room, his head moving from side to side. A revolver was lying upon the floor.


 It was found that Cahill had shot himself twice. One bullet had entered the stomach and passed through the body, being afterwards cut out of the back by a surgeon. It is presumed that it struck a rib and followed it around without causing a necessarily fatal wound.

  In firing the second shot, Cahill placed the muzzle of the pistol to his head, a short distance back of the right ear, and the bullet went crashing into the skull. When discovered by the officers, Cahill was conscious. The surgeon asked him if he thought he would ever attempt suicide again.

   Cahill said he did not think so. He did not believe he would recover from the two shots he had fired.

  Besides his wife, Cahill has three sons, who are all well-known and industrious young men.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Sacramento Daily Record-Union

Monday September 23, 1895 


Young Tom McCants Terrorizes a Neighborhood With His Rifle

Considerable excitement was caused in the neighborhood of Twenty-first and J streets Saturday afternoon by Thomas McCANTS, a young man who has frequently been arrested for petty offenses. He was drunk and terrorized everybody with whom he came in contact by discharging a Winchester rifle in such a manner as to indicate that he was firing at them.

Numerous complaints were made to the police about him. It was said that one of the bullets went through the hat of a lady who was walking on the sidewalk. A citizen went up and disarmed McCants and took him to the police station where he was charged with being drunk. The citizen had a close call for his life, as McCants raised his rifle and fired, but the bullet did not his its supposed mark. After McCants had lain in jail awhile he was allowed to go.

Not long after he was released V.S. McCLATCHY complained at the police station that McCants had fired a shot at his little son and narrowly missed killing him.

That settled it, and a number of officers were at once sent out to bring in McCants, but a thorough search by the police failed to reveal his whereabouts.

Chief of Police DREW, when asked how it came about that McCants was released, said the man who brought him to the jail did not make any charge against him, merely asking that he be detained until he got sober. 


Four of Them Commenced in the Superior Court

Henry EHRHARDT, by his attorneys, McKUNE & GEORGE, has commenced suit in the Superior court against Betsey E. ANDERSON for the foreclosure of a mortgage on 580 acres of land on the Cosumnes river, executed to secure the payment of a promissory note for $7,000.

S.B. SLIGHT, through his attorney, Albert M. JOHNSON, has commenced foreclosure proceedings against G.J. CROSS to enforce the payment of a promissory note for $600. The property involved consists of lots 4, 5, 6, 7, 13 and 14 in block A, Highland Park.

Luther C. JORDAN has sued Antone and Mary JOSEPH for the foreclosure of a $1,200 mortgage on a portion of lot S, O and P, Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth streets. Driver & Sims are the attorneys for the plaintiff.

Mrs. J.E. SULLIVAN of Solano County has commenced suit in the Superior Court of this county against Milton S. HALSEY for the foreclosure of a mortgage on lot 1, L and M, Second and Third streets, to enforce the payment of a promissory note for $1,100. The court is asked to appoint D.E. ALEXANDER receiver. W.A. GETT, Jr., is Mrs. Sullivan’s attorney. 


The trial of Mike Hickey Begun in the Superior Court

The trial of Mike Hickey, charged with complicity in the robbery of A.P. BOOTH at Fourth and K streets some time ago, is in progress before Superior Judge HINKSON. Hickey is charged jointly with John KENNEDY and Tom BOYLE with having committed the offense.

The defendant is represented by Attorneys A.L. HART, J.H. LIGGETT, W.A. ANDERSON and H.G. SOULE, Jr. Assistant District Attorney J.C. JONES is conducting the prosecution. The following jurors will decide Hickey’s fate: C.E. FORDENWALDT, Peter FUCHS, Louis HEILBRON, Thomas M. BITTANCOURT, George F. BRONNER, Domingo ROCCA, Emil FABIAN, T.P. LITTLEFIELD, E. TOOMEY, Frederick DAVIS, George MUDDOX and P.F. SCOTT. 

Police Court Notes

William SPILLMAN and M.L. PERKINS, who engaged in a fight on the street the other day, were, on Saturday, fined $5 each by Justice Davis for disturbing the peace. 


John Lambert Slashed by One James Murphy

A young man named John Lambert and another named James Murphy got into a dispute at Second and L streets on Saturday night, and Lambert afterward applied at the Receiving Hospital for treatment for a knife wound near his right eye, which he said was inflicted by Murphy.

After his wound, which was a slight one, had been dressed by Dr. OGDEN, Lambert went out and filled up on liquor and became so drunk that he was arrested by Officer ASH and locked up. 


By Kindness of the management under J.H. TODD and Colonel CALDWELL the children of the Protestant Orphan Asylum attended the matinee at the Clunie Opera-house Saturday afternoon. 

Very Likely It Is True

It is said that a man who lives in Washington, across the river, keeps catfish in a pool of foul and stagnant water - so foul that even catfish die if kept there many hours - and sells the fish to families in this city.

If anything of this kind is going on, the nuisances should be promptly suppressed. 

Real Estate Transfers

The following real estate transactions have been recorded since our last report: Frances O. MYERS to P.D. HAEDRICH - Lot 3, block Q, Highland Park.

P.D. HAEDRICH to William WACKFORD - Same as above.

C.F. and Adelia A. TRASK to Reclamation District No. 551 - Four acres in Swamp Land Survey No. 295. 

Funeral of Mrs. BAILEY

The funeral of the late Mrs. Susan Bailey took place from her residence near Walsh’s Station on Friday afternoon, and the attendance was very large. The religious services at the home and the grave were conducted by Rev. Charles SWITHENBANK of Cosumnes, where the interment took place. 

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Sacramento Record-Union

Thursday September 26, 1895 


Detectives Believe the Convict Was One of the Murderers

Was Here the Night of the Tragedy, and Went to Oakland the following Morning

The Oakland Tribune of last Saturday published a long story concerning the suspicious movements of one John DONNELLY, a young San Francisco and Oakland criminal, on the day following the night Mr. and Mrs. F.H.L. Weber were murdered in this city, the purpose being to connect him with that crime.

Donnelly is now serving a term in Folsom Prison for a crime afterward committed in San Francisco.

While Donnelly’s movements on the day following the murders in this city, and his admission that forenoon that he had heard of the double tragedy, may be such as to warrant the suspicion that he was implicated in the crime, there is nothing in the story published in the Tribune calculated to weaken the case against KOVALEV, the ex-Russian convict who is soon to be tried here.

The fact that Donnelly returned to San Francisco from this city on the morning after the murder, wearing different clothes from those seen on him a short time before, cuts some figure in the case, as all the clothing stolen from the Weber house at the time of the murder has not been accounted for, although some of it was found on the persons of the Russians now in custody.  


There are now in the County Jail at Sacramento three Russians who are destined soon to figure in the trial for the murder of Mrs. and Mrs. F.H.L. Weber of that city on the 29th of December of last year. Of these Ivan Kovalev is charged with the murder, while the others, one of whom in named W. ZAREWSKY, are held as witnesses. Zarewsky is expected to detail a confession it is alleged Kovalev made to him as regards the pawning by him (Kovalev) in Oakland of certain goods belonging to the murdered people.

It is believed that one of the murderers has already explained his crime at the hands of a man whom he assaulted in San Jose, having been killed several months after the murder of the Webers. Recently his remains were exhumed, and it is claimed that they were found encased in clothes which it is alleged belonged to the murdered Weber.

It is believed, however, in certain circles that there were more than two men engaged in the commission of the crime, and that one of them immediately after the murder came to this city, was accused of the crime, left Oakland as rapidly as possible, hung around San Francisco, robbed a car, attempted to kill a grocer and rob him and his place at the same time, and eventually landed in the penitentiary, where he will be expected to pass the next forty years.

The suspect is John Donnelly, scarcely more than 20 years of age, and yet he has committed more crimes and seen the inside of more reformatory institutions than hosts of convicts who have passed their lives in the business. Whether of not his connection with the brutal Weber crime can be traced to him is, as yet, unknown, but his case is being investigated by detectives, some of whom have been working on it in this city and San Francisco for some time.

Donnelly had long been absent from this city. Officers who knew him wondered where he had gone. They were of the opinion, however, that he would drift back, because he seemed to have a strong liking for this section, not withstanding that every detective knew him and his record. Sunday, December 30th of last year, he put in an appearance at the mole, crossing by the morning Oregon express, which had passed through Sacramento, and which arrived here at 10:45 o’clock.


When the train passed through the Capital City the bodies of the old man Weber and his wife had not yet become cold in death. The murder was not discovered until late on the morning of the 30th and the murders, by the time the bodies of Weber and his wife were found, had from ten to twelve hours to make their escape. To aid them in this was the Oregon train for this city. As soon as the Chief of Police of Sacramento heard of the murder he notified the police authorities here and in San Francisco that he believed the assassins had made their escape on the Oregon train and requested that the police in both cities be on the alert. The notification, however, was received here too late, because the train had already reached the broad-gauge mole and the passengers had dispersed.

The detectives, however, learned that on that same Sunday morning, December 30th, young Donnelly made his appearance in the broad-gauge mole on his way to San Francisco. He was known to many of the employes of the railroad company, and especially to those whose duty it is to look after the property of the company. One of these officials met Donnely, and the moment he saw the young fellow the officer, who had heard of the Weber murder through the railroad men, and who knew Donnelly’s character well, told him he believed he (Donnelly) had been in the Weber murder. Donnelly, who was covered with dust, admitted that he had ridden on the brakebeam on the Oregon train from Sacramento to this city, but denied that he had anything to do with the crime. He said the murder had not been committed by tramps but by the Chinese or Indians. He admitted also that he knew all about the murder.

At that time the officers at the mole did not know that the news was not generally known, but the fact was that at the time Donnelly and the officer conversed on the subject in this city the police had scarcely been informed of it in Sacramento. If the officer had known that Donnelly would certainly have been arrested. Now the question arises, how did Donnely know of the crime unless he had been a party to it? It was not known to a regular passenger or train official, and how could a brakebeam tramp have learned of it?


The coat which Donnelly wore was not of his size. It seemed a great deal fresher than the rest of his clothes, although it, too, bore evidence of brakebeam dust. The mole officer was loth to part, however, with Donnelly, and, under the pretense of old acquaintance, detained him in conversation for nearly three hours, meantime telephoning Detective SHOREY of Donnelly’s presence, as also the fact that the man had at one time escaped from Whittier, and asked whether he (Shorey) wanted him. Several hours elapsed before the detective made his appearance. Meantime Donnelly went away, leaving his overcoat, which he said he would call for later. Shorey said he would call again and take him in when he (Donnelly) called for his coat. But Shorey never appeared. Donnelly took the 2:30 boat for San Francisco.

When Donnelly left here he wore a blue shirt with white stripes, red four-in-hand knit scarf, dark brown short coat, striped vest, lemon-colored trousers, soft black Alpine hat and heavy, coarse shoes. Donnelly was seen on this side several days later. He was then attired in new clothes.

Immediately after the murder Chief CROWLEY rounded up the denizens of the Barbary Coast, with the hope of finding some one who might know something of the murder, and it is believed that Donnelly was among those who were raked in. None of the arrested ones, however, incriminated themselves, and they were all set at liberty after having been in jail one night. Next morning one of the trustees found a gold watch in the cell which had been vacated by the suspects, which he was engaged in cleaning. This watch was afterwards identified as having belonged to Mrs. Weber.

When the watch was found another attempt was made to round up the same Barbary coast denizens who had previously been under surveillance, and who had occupied the cell in which the watch was found. This resulted in the arrest of Henry SANDT, alias “Shy Red,” who claimed, however, that he had reached San Francisco long before the murder. This Sandt is the same previously referred to in this article as Ivan Kovalev. [In this the Tribune is in error.]

Shortly after Donnelly disappeared from view on this side of the bay he went into partnership in crime with a man named John SMITH and another named FRAZER. This trio succeeded in holding up a Jackson-street car in San Francisco, and robbing a grocer named WITT over there. Smith is as desperate a man as Donnelly. It was he who openly cursed Judge WALLACE of San Francisco and struck Officer RYAN in court. He was given forty years in San Quentin, and Donnelly, who was then under the name of WILSON, was given forty years also, in Folsom. Frazer escaped from the prison van.


Donnelly was reared near Portland, Or. He was convicted in 1889 for stealing a watch. In 1891 he stole valuables from a bathhouse, but was not prosecuted owing to his tender years. Later, under the name of KENNON, he was sent to the Oregon Penitentiary for four years for daylight burglary, but was pardoned. He was next shot in the abdomen while burglarizing, and was sent to the Walla Walla Penitentiary. When he came here he was known as the “Chicago Kid.”

He made a favorable impression on the people at the mole, and did good work for a time in unearthing bay pirates. Finally he became one himself. He was arrested for burglary and sent to Whittier, whence he escaped. He has since traveled all over the country, and it is believed committed many crimes of which he is not even suspected. He told officers while here that he knows the man who robbed the central overland train between Davisville and Sacramento.

He also claimed to know who it was that shot an officer in Nevada City some time ago, and he had seen the shooting from a China-house. During his fleeting career Donnelly has been known under the aliases “Chicago Kid,” “John P. KENNARD.” “John KENNON,” “Shy DONNELLY” and John WILSON”. He is now undoubtedly removed for life from the scenes of his former exploits, but the detectives feel that further light will eventually be shed upon his suspected and probable connection with the brutal murder in Sacramento. 


Drawing Class Instituted for the Night School

School to be Opened at the Foundlings’ Home - Miss DANFORTH Elected Teacher.

The City Board of Education held its monthly meeting last night, Directors DAVIS, WHITBECK, SHERBURN, CROUCH, DILLMAN, DRIVER, HUNTINGTON and DOLAN being present.

The President assigned the supervision of the different schools to the various Directors as follows: High School, Director Whitbeck; Sacramento Grammar School and Marshall Primary, Davis; Capital Grammar and Jefferson Primary, Dillman; Sutter Grammar and Fremont Primary, Driver; Lincoln Primary and Orphan Asylum, Dolan; Capital Primary and Night School, Sherburn; Union Primary, Crouch; Washington Primary, Huntington; Kindergarten Schools, Kindergarten Committee; Charles School, Buchanan.

Director Huntington reported that he had visited the Foundlings’ Home and found that there were thirty-two or thirty-three pupils there. For various reasons they cannot attend the public schools, and he would recommend that, if possible, a school be established there. He would recommend, however, that the salary of the teacher be fixed at not more than $40.

Director Driver said that he had also visited the school and concurred in the report of Dr. Huntington. It would have to be an ungraded school.

Mrs. CLAYTON addressed the board, saying that the directors of the home thought that a teacher could easily be secured for $40, and they would be glad to have the school started. It could be ready in five or six weeks.

The question was then discussed by the Directors, the question arising whether under the law the salary of the teacher could be legally fixed at $40.

Superintendent ELREWINE gave a number of reasons why it should be desirable to have the school, and Director Dillman agreed with him. On motion of Crouch the report was received and the board decided to open a school at the home free of rent. It was also decided to open it the 1st of January, the salary not to exceed $40.

The Building and Repairs Committee was authorized to distribute dirt form all the school where new sidewalks had been constructed, to other schoolyards.

The carpenter reported his estimate of repairs to be made to the various buildings. He estimated that the cost of putting the closets at the Sacramento Grammar School in the basement would be $1,780.

Director Huntington did not think that it would be best to put them there. He thought it would be better to adopt the plans admitted by Mr. Mayhew.

The matter was allowed to drop.

Mr. MOOSE, who had superintended the painting of the buildings, reported that it would be finished by next Monday.

Salaries of teachers were allowed as well as the following bills: Mrs. C.L. COON, $20; Gruhler & KIMBROUGH, $6.40; S.J. JACKSON, $23.85; Adolph TIECHERT, $99.82; HOTCHKISS, HARTWELL & STALKER, $21.75; Sacramento Lumber, Company, $19.91; T.J. PENNISH, $19.50; L.P. GILMAN, $6.50; Cooper Music Store, $10; N.L. MAY, $70; Sacramento Publishing Company, $8.45; James McCLATCHY & Co, $3.02; Tom SCOTT, $3.50; Day & Joy, 75 cents; LOCKE & LAVENSON, $3; J.H. WISEHEART, $1; STANTON, THOMSON & Co., $4.75; Frank HICKMAN, $20; Ella DORSEY, $16; I.O.O.F. Temple, $20; O.W. ERLEWINE, $3; J.M. HASTINGS, $75; James I SHEARER, $200; James McGILLIVRAY, $70; A.S. HOPKINS Company, $89; Wiseman & Stone, $18.90; Capital Gas Company, $1.50; Gruhler & Kimbrough, $13.10; John KLEES, $15; J. JACKSON, $99.65; W.F. PURNELL, $38.90; T.H. DAVIS, $9.90; Crouch & Co., $85.50; W.D. COMSTOCK, $303.56; Sacramento Lumber Company, $27.56; T.J. PENNISH, $136.50; J.M. HASTINGS, $97.50; Crouch & Co., $150.45; Joseph SCHNEIFER, $1,200; James SEADL:ER, $82.25; S.B. SMITH, $36; W.K. COTHRIN, $449.68; J.H. ALLEN, $209.20; W.P. COLEMAN, $38; total $3816.91.

Director Crouch reported in regard to the drawing class, that the Superintendent said it would not be advisable to fit up the room at Tenth & Q, as it would be needed for the school next year. The east room at the Perry Seminary, now used for the night school, could be used for the class and the Chinese classroom could be used for one of the night school rooms.

Mr. HOEN was elected to teach the class, at a salary of $50 a month, and the Furniture and Supply COmmittee was authorized to wire the night school rooms of the building for electric lighting.

Half the trees in the shoolyard at Sixteenth and N were ordered taken out.

The purchase of apparatus for the High School laboratory was left to the Superintendent and the Principal.

Miss Nettie FROST applied for a position as kindergarten teacher.

The board proceeded to elect a teacher for the Foundling Home School. Misses WALLACE, FLEMING, DANFORTH, KLOTZ and TENBROOK were nominated, and Miss DANFORTH was unanimously elected on the third ballot.

The board then adjourned. 

Resignations Accepted

The Governor has accepted the resignation of D.M. BURSON, a Notary Public for Riverside County. He has also accepted the resignation of Bertie L. HAUSER, a Notary Public for Santa Clara County. 

Notaries Public

Governor BUDD has appointed the following Notaries Public; Edith L. HAMILTON, Fresno; C.E. PEEL, Murietta, Riverside County; B.E. ZABULA, Salinas City, Monterey County. 

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




© Copyright 2003-2005 by Nancy Pratt Melton




Sacramento CAGenWeb