Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1863  | 1870's & 1880's  | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1904  | 1906  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911  | 1912  |1913-1915  | 1917-1920's


California County's News 1905a
California County's News 1905b
California County's News 1905c
California County's News 1905d
California County's News 1905e






Sacramento Evening Bee

Monday, January 2, 1905



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 2 - The will of the late Thomas J. SHERWOOD, who for a long time edited the Marysville Democrat, has been filed for probate.

  The estate consists of $6000 in cash in bank, $4000 life insurance, about $1000 in household furniture and personal effects and shares of stock of unknown value in several corporations.

  The heirs are Mrs. Ida Sherwood, wife of deceased, and Mrs. Dora DANIELS, Mrs. May VARNEY and Mrs. Maud MARCUSE, daughters. The insurance is payable to the widow.



DUNSMUIR (Siskiyou Co.), January 2 - Miss Georgia HARPER, leader and head of the dramatic company of that name, has been ill in a local hospital for a week, suffering from peritonitis. She was considered dangerously sick last night and her physicians, at Grant’s Pass, Oregon, was telegraphed for. There are eighteen members in the company which is said to be well and favorably known in the East and West.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 2 - Judge PREWETT yesterday made an order allowing $1400 attorney’s fees and $125 a month family allowance in the Weber case. The charge of murder against Adolph Weber for the killing of his mother will come up January 26th. The date of trial of the other murder charges and of the bank robbery have not been set.

  The attorneys for the defense will ask for a change of venue, and with that end in view have been sending out letters to prominent citizens in different portions of the county to ascertain the public sentiment. Most of these letters have been immediately forwarded without comment to Judge Prewett. The feeling here is that no change of venue ought to be, or will be granted.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), January 2 - Wallace PORTER, aged 15 years, was injured in a peculiar manner at Truckee Saturday.

  While en route to the Truckee Lumber Company’s mills he was attracted by a number of sharp explosions in a large pit. He went to the edge of the pit, and was peering downward when another explosion occurred, and he was struck about the head and face by small pieces of brass.

  The pieces of brass were the remnants of a number of dynamite caps that had been thrown into a fire by three boy tramps that were on the other side of the pit our of Porter’s view. The tramps took to flight when they saw the result of their sport.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), January 2 - George C. GAYLOR, one of the oldest and most prominent merchants passed away Saturday. He resided here thirty years. Besides being engaged in the grocery business, he was the owner of the famous Charonnat Mine.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 2 - The last week of the old year proved a busy one in Yuba County’s marriage license bureau. County Clerk BOWMAN fitted out four couples on the last day alone.

  Those who were granted licenses are as follows:

 J.D. DOWNER, Pinole, and Mis Pearl A. WISE, of Marysville Township; Edward C. FRASER, Wheatland, and Miss Rosalie KUSTER, Erie; William SANTRY, Marysville, and Mis Laura JONES, of Marysville Township; Lawrence HILL and Miss Grace HASLET, both of Chico; Fred YORE and Mis Alpha M. WILDER, both of Oregon House; Geo. EVANS and Miss Hattie PHELAN, both of Oregon House.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 2 - Clarence TURNER was sentenced Saturday in the Superior Court to five years in the penitentiary at San Quentin. He is the man who was convicted three weeks ago of stealing a heifer calf in the neighborhood of Shingletown, the trial costing Shasta County about $2000. His attorneys made strenuous efforts to secure a new trial but all of no avail. A stay of execution good for thirty days was granted.



UKIAH (Mendocino Co.), January 2 - A rich vein of copper has been discovered twenty-five miles northwest of Willits. A shaft has been sunk fifty feet, but it had to be abandoned at that depth on account of water. The owners are now running a tunnel, which is now nearly 300 feet in. They expect to go about 100 feet more before they strike the main ledge.

  The surface rock is very rich and it assays all of the way from 17 to 40 per cent in copper, and also carried some gold and silver. The promoters are going to spend $10,000 in development work.



VALLEJO (Solano Co.), January 2 - The New Year opens with splendid prospect for the Mare Island Navy Yard and Vallejo. During last year the completion of the Carnegie Library and the Y.M.C.A. Naval Home for Sailors were important events. Needed street improvements are now in progress, the new electric road is laying tracks through the business section of the city, and the line to Napa will probably be completed and open for traffic by March.

  The great improvements in deepening the channel; the contract awarded for the completion of the new dry dock; the new collier to be built; two gunboats undergoing extensive repairs, the French cruiser Projet coming here for repairs; the steel training ship Intrepid being completed, and plenty of other repair work ahead, shows that the navy yard will have in 190 the busiest year in its existence.

  The tannery here has been enlarged to accommodate increased business, and the new gas plant (which will sell gas at $1.50 per 1000, instead of $2.50) is rapidly being completed. Vallejoites look with confidence to an increased population of 2000 during this year, owing to necessary enlargement of he working force at the navy yard, and are well satisfied with the new year’s prospects.



VALLEJO (Solano Co.), January 2 - A wedding of great interest to Vallejoites and also to many people in Solano County, where, through their prominence in the musical world, the contracting parties are well-known, took place this afternoon at 3 o’clock at the M.E. Church. Ernest P. ALLEN, a prominent member of the Mare Island Station Band, led to the alter Miss Rose LEAVES, for a long time a prominent local singer and a member of the M.E. Church choir, and daughter of M.E. LEAVES, the leader of the choir.

  The happy couple were made one by the Rev. W. ANGWIN. The church was crowded with the many friends of the bride and groom. Mr. and Mrs. E.P. ALLEN left on the 4:30 p.m. train for Southern California, and will reside here on their return.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 2 - The Auburn football team left this morning for Willows where they are to play the Willows team for the championship of Superior California. The line-up of the Auburn team presents no changes since their game with Sacramento, except the addition of Roy ELLIOT, a well-known Sacramento player. Elliot arrived here yesterday to go through some practice with the team and left with it this morning for Willows.

  CLAFLIN, who played guard for the Sacramento team when it played here last Monday, has been engaged by Willows to play with them to-day. Willows also has the services of REEVES, a tackle on the Suisun team. Calvin HAFFEY, who played with Berkeley this year in the intercollegiate games will act as the Auburn official.



AUBURN (Placer CO.), January 2 - Brakeman Bert HAINES was run over while switching at Blue Canyon yesterday afternoon, and died from his injuries before he reached Rocklin. He leaves a wife and family in Sacramento.



Educators Give It as Their Opinion That the School Should Not Be Limited to One Block.

  The preliminaries of the High School bond issue of $200,000 have been dispatched; the bonds have been sold, and the money in a few weeks will be in the treasury. It will then become the duty of the Board of Education to call for offers of ground for a site: and upon the final choice of this site much depends. Many people of differing views have been heard from, but all the educators who have so far expressed an opinion have declared that it would be a grave mistake to put the new High School building on a single block of land.

            Views of David Starr Jordan

 On December 4th last President David Starr JORDAN, of Stanford University, wrote in answer to a letter form Corporation Counsel DONNELLY:

 “Without knowing any of the details as to the different sites to which you refer in your letter, I should say emphatically that you must have more than one block of land; that if two or four blocks were obtained you would have enough on the grounds and campus for the High School Athletics.

  “A High School is not going to make itself useful or attractive to young men unless beside mental culture you have physical culture as well.

  “In California there is more need of a good athletic field than of the details of a gymnasium. The students ought to have both, as well as the baths ordinarily connected with a gymnasium.

  “My judgement, therefore, is emphatically in favor of the grounds, other things being equal, having plenty of room, for without plenty of room the grounds cannot be satisfactory.”

            What Professor Wheeler Said

 Responding to a similar letter, Benjamin Ide WHEELER, of the State University, said:

 “On the main point, as to the amount of land to be secured, I should say unhesitatingly: ‘Get two blocks, or even three or four, if you possibly can. You will regret it later it you now limit your space to one block’. The addition of an athletic field, or a playground, to the premises of a modern High School is in the highest degree of desirable.”

            Views of Professor Pond

 For many years Professor J.H. POND, now Principal of the Oakland High School, was Principal of the Sacramento High School and a strong advocate for a new High School. He knows the situation in Sacramento perfectly, and knows the relative value of sites as well. In a letter to Mayor HASSETT, published December 20th last, Professor POND wrote:

 “The question of the site is, of course, the first one to settle. Size, environment and proximity to the center of population must be considered. I have mentioned size first, because it is necessary, in order that the real requirements of a modern High School should be fulfilled, to insist upon a site of at least two blocks in size. In my judgement, it is by far better that the site should be large (rest of article cut off).

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, January 11, 1905



REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 11 - The troubles of W.L. HARVEY, of this city, are coming in bunches. In less than two weeks he has lost his place of business by fire; he has had a young daughter stolen from him, he alleges, by her mother, who is his divorced wife; he has had trouble to collect his insurance, and, to cap the climax, his second wife yesterday instituted divorce proceedings against him.

  Two weeks ago he conducted a café and was doing a flourishing business. A fire came and gutted the premises.

  Last Wednesday his first wife, now a Mrs. NEWBERG, came to Redding to visit her daughter, Helen, a girl of 14 years. That evening both were missing. The father alleged that the mother had kidnaped the daughter and taken her to the city.

  Harvey followed them to San Francisco, and there the trouble has been carried into the Courts. Mrs. Newberg, formerly Mrs. Harvey, was entitled to visit her daughter, but, by the decree of divorce, the girl was to be in the custody of the father.

  In San Francisco Mr. Harvey had to sue out a writ of habeas corpus. Judge LAWLOR ordered Mrs. Newberg to bring the girl into his presence. This was done Monday, the decision being postponed until Tuesday. Last evening Judge Lawlor ordered the girl into the custody of the father.

  Yesterday papers were filed here by the present Mrs. Harvey, who seeks a legal separation.



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), January 11 - A number of citizens of this city have been cleverly victimized by a couple who claimed to be man and wife, and who imposed on the charitable nature of their dupes. About a month ago the man and woman arrived in town, claiming to hail from Washington. They gave the name of VARNUM, and told a pitiful story. The woman claimed to be an invalid, and pretended to be in destitute circumstances.

  The landlady of the Yreka Hotel took pity on the pair and furnished them with a room to live in. Several citizens then learned of the case and immediately came forward with help. The man was given a number of small jobs, for which he was paid in a very liberal manner. He cut wood for Lawyer COLLIER and received more than the agreed price, through sympathy. He then was given several jobs by Dr. COLLAR.

  The doctor, having some wood to cut, decided to give him more work, and went to his room to notify him. The door was locked and no one responded, which aroused suspicion. The landlady was called and the door broke in. The couple had flown, and the room was in a demoralized condition. The furniture had been broken to pieces and used for fuel, and even the pillows and bed clothes were missing, the couple having taken everything with them that they could carry.

  Mr. Collier became suspicious about his wood pile, and upon investigation found that only a part of it had been cut and then piled upon the other in a manner to deceive him. Those who helped the couple are very angry. It is a good thing for the pair that they got safely away before their true characters were discovered.



GAZELLE (Siskiyou Co.), January 11 - Word reached here to-day of the death of Charles Souther at his home in Boston, Massachusetts. Mr. Souther was well known in this county, having been interested in several mining propositions, among them being the Yreka dredge on Yreka Creek, and the Dewey quartz mine near here. His health had been failing for some time, so the news was not entirely unexpected. A wife, daughter and several sons survive him.



LOYALTON (Sierra Co.), January 11 - Frank FIORVANTI, an Italian, fell from a tree Sunday and it is feared his back is broken. He had climbed the tree to fasten a rope to it for some purpose, when he lost his balance and fell some distance, striking the frozen ground with great force. He weighs about 180 pounds.



LINCOLN (Placer Co.), January 11 - Humphrey HALEY, an old and respected pioneer resident of this section, died at his home about five miles from Lincoln, on Tuesday, at the ripe old aged of 88 years.

  It was but a few days ago that the Sunflower Mining Company bonded his property for $10,000. The land proved of good value and the Company was preparing to take up the bond.

  The body was interred in the Catholic Cemetery near Lincoln to-day. He leaves an aged wife and one son to mourn his loss.



UKIAH (Mendocino Co.), January 11 - A serious accident occurred Sunday, due to the careless handling of firearms. Dan WILLS and Ernest SCHORLING, two school boys, about 15 years of age, who live in the Northern part of this county, had gone duck hunting. Schorling was loading his gun, while Wills was standing in front of him, when suddenly a shell was discharged, the load taking effect in the Wills boy’s leg, near the ankle. The bones were shattered and the flesh mangled in a frightful manner. He was taken to his home and a doctor called in. The foot cannot be saved, and will be amputated.


REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 11 - Not a trace of Mrs. Jennie V. SMITH, the demented woman who yesterday ran away from the home of her father in this place, as told in last evening’s Bee, has been found, although the search has been carried on by scores of people, including officers and neighbors.

 The Sheriff and his deputies beat the brush until after 10 o’clock last night, and this morning the search was again taken up with vigor, but so far not a sign of the unfortunate woman has been obtained.

  This is considered very remarkable. Mrs. Smith went west from the home of her father, a Dr. AUSTIN, and not FOSTER, as reported yesterday. People live along the route she is supposed to have taken, but not one of them has seen the woman. Presumably she did not invite notice.

  Many are of the opinion that Mrs. Smith, dressed lightly as she was, must have succumbed to exposure. Last night was bitterly cold, and to have slept out in the open without covering of any sort, except the clothing she wore, was an ordeal calculated to have fatal consequences.

  As stated in yesterday’s Bee, Mrs. Smith has a husband and son residing in Marysville. She came to this place recently from Wisconsin. She entertains extreme religious views and they appear to have unsettled her mind.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 11 - In the Superior Court here yesterday Thomas Galland DODGSON, an old man living near Weimar, was sentenced to three months in the county jail for assault.

  Dodgson, on December 1st, quarreled with a neighbor named Louis BLUM about some books and charged him with stealing them. The old man in a rage procured a gun and fired upon Blum, the bullet narrowly missing him. The Grand Jury indicted Dodgson for assault with a deadly weapon, but the trial jury brought in a verdict for simple assault.

  The Court, in sentencing the prisoner, stated that he was fully convinced that his intentions were to kill Blum, but that he was not able to inflict any severer punishment than the limit of the penalty for simple assault, which is three months.

  Dodgson is an eccentric character and quarrelsome by nature. His appearances in Court have attracted considerable attention. It is believed by some that he is mentally unbalanced. Up to the time of his trial he has always borne the name of Ernest B. JORDAN, but insisted at his arraignment that his true name was Dodgson.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 11 - Ah WOON was on trial to-day in the Superior Court, on the charge of rape. The Bee heretofore has told the story fully.

  Daniel HEALY, of Sacramento, an officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, was the first witness. He told of the defendant’s admission to him in regard to his relations with May LUCAS, the 15-year-old girl who is the central figure in the ugly case.

  The girl herself followed Healy on the stand. She said Ah Woon had given her many presents, and that he had asked her to marry him before he had ever sustained criminal relations with her. She had consented to the union, as had her mother.

  The case was still in progress when The Bee went to press.


            THE WEBER ESTATE

AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 11 - Coroner W.A. SHEPARD, who is in possession of the $5500 found in the Weber barn, presumed to have been buried there by Adolph Weber, now charged with robbing the Placer County Bank, yesterday filed a bill of interpleader. This brings all the parties claiming the money into Court and relieves Shepard of all liability. The fight is now on between the bank and the Weber estate. If the bank wins, Shepard will claim the $1000 reward offered for the recovery of the money.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 11 - Coroner KELLY was called to the NORTON farm in Linda Township last evening to take charge of the remains of an unknown man whose body was found in the brush near the bank of Yuba River. A letter dated Spinks Corners, and addressed to “L.E. ANDREWS, Marysville,” also a receipt for dues paid by Luther E. Andrews to January 1, 1905, to the Odd Fellows Lodge at Bainbridge, Michigan, were found in deceased’s pockets. These papers will probably lead to his identification.

  The local Lodge of Odd Fellows will interest themselves in the case that the dead man’s relatives may be apprized of his passing. Deceased wore a dark suit of clothes, was sandy complexioned and had curly hair.



UKIAH (Mendocino Co.), January 11 - Another drowning occurred near Fort Bragg Monday, the details of which are similar to those that attended the drowning of Eugene HENDRICKS a short time ago.

  John SILVERIA and Antone LIMOS were fishing from the rocks on the beach, and, as in the former case, an extra heavy sea came in and washed them both into the ocean. As Silveria was carried from the rock he called “good-by” to Limos, and was never seen after that. The body has not been recovered.

  Limos, being a good swimmer, managed to save himself from a watery grave. Silveria leaves a wife and daughter to mourn his loss.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




Sacramento Evening Bee

Thursday, January 12, 1905



SAN FRANCISCO, January 12 - In the suit of Dix W. SMITH against the Sunset Mining Company, in which it was charged that the management (next line not legible) out of the receipts of treasury stock and permitted judgements for debts to be taken against the Company in order to gain possession of the Old Glory Mine in Butte County, affidavits were filed yesterday by G.W. RUMBLE and H.A. HARDINGE in support of a motion for the dissolution of an injunction and against the application for a Receiver for the property. The two deny the allegations and charges of conspiracy and say that the injunction, which prevents the working of the mine, has occasioned a loss of $800 a month and that had operations continued the profits would have been $4000 a month by now. It is declared that the workings are being ruined by the inactivity.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 12 - Nothing so far has occurred to indicate that there will be any change of the date set for the Weber trial - January 26th. The illness of Grove L. JOHNSON, who is chief counsel for the defendant, may cause a delay in the commencement of he action, but probably for no other cause will the date be deferred.

  The prisoner has attracted but little attention of late, because but few have been allowed to see him. He spends most of his time writing, as his reading matter is limited. “I shall be a good attorney myself,” said the prisoner the other day, “when I come out from this trial.”

  Although he has not said so, it is evident that Weber believes he will be acquitted. His attorneys are about the only ones who are allowed to see him. The Sheriff and District Attorney of an adjoining county recently were being shown through the Court House, and during their inspection of the Jail were introduced to the noted prisoner. He was not pleased with the introduction and complained of attention being drawn to him.

  The Court has not yet passed upon the defendant’s demurrer to the indictment in the charge of bank robbery.

  Application has already been made to the Board of Supervisors by the District Attorney for compensation for his assistant counsel in the prosecution of the case, but as yet the Board has taken no action.

  A.D. FELLOWS, one of the important witnesses in the case, has gone to Iowa on a visit, and it is not likely that he will be here to give his testimony. Mr. Fellows had not been subpoenaed and his departure was unexpected. Fellows is the only witness who heard outcries at the Weber home the night of the tragedy. His testimony is quite important, as it fixes the exact time at which the shooting occurred.


            AH WOON GUILTY

AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 12 - Ah Woon, the Chinaman on trial yesterday for committing rape on the person of May LUCAS, a 15-year-old girl, was found guilty as charged by the jury. The jury were but a few moments in arriving at a conclusion.



Made Money In Early Days But Died Broke

HAWTHORNE (Nev.), January 12 - George ELDER, one of the oldest freighters and stage drivers in Nevada, is dead, having passed away at the poor farm here. At one time he was wealthy, having owned many teams, stages and freight outfits in the days before the war. He first ran between Washoe City and the Comstock, and later transferred his work to the Bodie district during the excitement there. He did a thriving business, and amassed a comfortable fortune, which he lost in mining investments as he grew old. He was known to all the old-time residents of Western Nevada and Eastern California.


            Killed In Mine

LOVELOCK (Nev.), January 12 - F.L. QUILLIELI, an Italian employed at the Humboldt Sulphur Mines, was instantly killed yesterday by an immense fall of mineral which he was mining. He was chipping sulphur off a ledge when a fall took place which buried him. He was recovered after considerable difficulty, but not until after he had expired.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Sacramento Evening Bee

Friday, January 13, 1905



Death of Ex-Army Doctor And His Experiences At Marysville and Colusa

COLUSA (Colusa Co.), January 13 - News of the death of Dr. Henry Raxter WILSON at Colfax, in Placer County, was received here with interest, notwithstanding the fact that the man was a stranger in this community, where he served a long term in jail for the theft of surgical instruments. It was his life story that appealed to the public, particularly to those who came into contact with him, for the man possessed education and kindly instincts.

  Just how much can be believed of the stories he told is hard to determine. While he claimed to have served with Roosevelt in Cuba, the Rough Rider failed to bear him out. But it is probable that Wilson was an army doctor, and that he saw service on the island. He was wounded there, according to his story, and contracted the use of morphine from taking the dangerous drug to alleviate his pain. The habit stayed with him to the end.

  Four or five years ago the doctor drifted into Marysville and opened an office. He did not do much business, and didn’t seem to care to, particularly. He had a little money, and spent it freely. Shortly after he had established himself, the Marysville officers received word that he was wanted in Chicago for the theft either of a trunk or of its contents. He was arrested and returned to the Windy City. Just how he got out of what looked like a very serious scrape was never clearly explained out here. But in time he again appeared on the Coast, finally getting into trouble in this town.

  He was buried by the local Lodge of Odd Fellows at Colfax. Whether or not he left a family anywhere, or friends to mourn his loss, is not known, but those out here who knew Dr. Wilson best, freely admit that morphine ruined a good man when it got its deadly hold upon him.



Frightened by Finding a Loaded Pistol In Her Dooryard, Near Weber’s

AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 13 - A sensation was spoiled yesterday afternoon when Sheriff KEENA’s deputies investigated a hasty summons. The Sheriff’s office was rung up by telephone and the request made to send two deputies to E.S. Snowden’s house immediately. Mrs. Snowden is Mrs. Julius Weber’s sister. Visions of another murder hastened the deputies’ feet up the steep hill to the Snowden house.

  Mrs. Snowden’s nerves have been badly shaken up by her sister’s murder and finding a pistol outside of the house concluded danger was abroad and sent for the officers. They ventured the opinion that the pistol was Mr. Snowden’s, but she said not and declared that when he brought it downstairs he always told her about it. Snowden was on a jury in a Chinese criminal case and not until he identified the pistol and said he took it down to clean it would she dismiss her fears.

  The papers in the bill of inter-pleading were served to-day on Vice-President LUBECK of the Placer County Bank and Adolph WEBER. The latter laughed when served and said: “I see they are still after me. Well, I shall be aggressive hereafter and they will find I have plenty of fight left before they get through with me.” He looks in better health than a month ago.

  Attorney -General WEBB arrived yesterday afternoon and has been in close consultation with the Sheriff and District Attorney this afternoon and evening concerning the Weber case.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 13 - This morning the Placer County Bank filed a civil suit against Adolph Weber for the recovery of the $5600 found concealed in the yard of his father’s home, and which he is suspected of having stolen from the bank in question.

  It is persistently rumored about town that the prosecution in the Weber murder cases has found new and damaging evidence against the youthful prisoner, but if this is to, no word of it can be obtained from any of the official or attorneys concerned.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 13 - The case of rape against Ah LUNG, the second celestial who was charged with Ah WOON, convicted on Wednesday of the same offense, was before the Superior Court yesterday. The defendant is charged with having assaulted Hattie LUCAS, a sister of the Lucas girl whom Ah Woon was convicted of having raped.

  The prosecuting witness against Ah Lung is a girl but 12 years of age, and her testimony against the Chinaman was revolting in the extreme. The case was tried behind closed doors, and about the same witnesses were used as against Ah Woon.

  The two cases have been the most depraved that have ever been heard here, and the Chinamen’s defense was very weak. The case was not concluded yesterday, but continued until this morning and is now in progress. Ah Woon will be sentenced on Monday next.



CHICO (Butte Co.), January 13 - The Cramer Meat and Packing Company’s slaughter house, which was adjudged a public nuisance on account of the stench arising therefrom, will soon be removed three miles from the suburbs of the city. The Company has a new establishment in course of construction. The slaughter house had become so offensive to residents in that neighborhood that notice was served upon the Company. The buildings will now undoubtedly be burned to the ground.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), January 13 - Nevada City is to have a Beer Trust. For years the price of beer has been 5 cents, but the dealers have got together and decided there was no money in the foaming beverage at that price, and on Sunday the price will be 10 cents a glass. The dealers state the cause of the raise is the increased tax levied by the Government.



BENICIA (Solano Co.), January 13 - The Benicia Brewery and D.J. QUINN mourn the departure of Benjamin C. PROCTOR, late cook of the Union Hotel, and forger of two checks that he passed on them, the amounts being $23.50 and $24.50 respectively. The name he used was that of J.W. HAINLINE, proprietor of the hotel at which he was employed. The job was a bungling one, and would have been detected but for the fact that Hainline’s writing was not known about the town. He went to San Francisco on the Stockton boat at 2 o’clock yesterday morning. Constable HYDE followed him at 9, but at last reports had not caught his man. Proctor owed his employer $20 also.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), January 13 - The Champion Mining Company has filed with the Superior Court a bond for $25,000. It has been approved, and the attachment levied on the Champion’s personal property in the $200,000 suit brought by the Home Mining Company has been released. The sureties on the bond are Nicholas OHLANDT and Charles NONNEMAN, millionaires of San Francisco. There will be no loss of time in working the undisputed territory. The Home will take similar action at San Francisco and will soon resume work in that mine.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), January 13 - Two old pioneers of Sierra County have passed away within the past few days. Mrs. W.D. NOLAN, familiarly known as “Grandma” Nolan, was eighty-eight years of age and in full possession of her faculties up to the day of her death. Lawrence NESSLER, eighty years of age, was the other old-timer. He was a prominent brewer of Sierra County, and was stricken suddenly.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 13 - Frankie SMITH, an ebony denizen of that portion of the tenderloin district known as “Barbara Coast” plunged the blade of a pocket-knife into the breast of a Mexican sheepherder named I. SANCHEZ at 2:35 o’clock this morning in an effort to reach a vital part.

  While the stab is not a serious one, the parties to the affair, all of whom are under arrest, are quite reticent as to details. It is known that Sanchez and the woman had a war of words earlier in the night. He was standing outside her window when she reached through and stabbed him.

  One W.H. DOURDEIL is held as a witness.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 13 - Dan HARMON, who claims to be a Sacramento barber, is in jail here for some light-fingered work he did in one of the saloons a few night ago. He is accused of grand larceny, viz, extracting $5 from the pocket of an old man who was drinking at the bar beside him. There are several responsible witnesses to the act.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 13 - The remains of the man found on the NORTON farm in Linda Township Tuesday last have been identified as those of L.E. ANDREWS, of Benton Harbor, Mich. At the request of a brother of deceased, Coroner KELLY shipped the remains to Michigan to-day.



WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), January 13 - Frank CLAY and Robert JORME, the two young men arrested at Davisville on the suspicion of being the robbers who have been responsible for many of the car robberies reported there, especially for one on the night of January 6th, yesterday pleaded guilty to the charge of second degree burglary and were sentenced by Judge E.E. GADDIS, of the Yolo County Superior Court, to three years in the State Prison at Folsom.

  As both are young, Jorme being only 17 years of age, the charge of first degree burglary was reduced to that of the second degree. When arrested Clay and Jorme had a large quantity of cigars in their possession which they had stolen from a car at Davisville. As the evidence against them was conclusive they very wisely pleaded guilty to a minor charge.

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Saturday Sacramento Bee

January 14, 1905




Selection of Weber’s Jury a Hard Task

Judge Prewett Will Examine Personally the Scene of the Four Awful Murders

AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 14 - Attorney Benjamin P. TABOR brought up the question yesterday, before Judge PREWETT, of jurors to be summoned in the Weber case, and requested the drawing to be made as soon as possible. The attorney thought 150 would be the least number that would be adequate from which to choose the jury, as he did not think men who lived in the vicinity of Auburn could qualify.

  Judge Prewett, however, stated that he believed the number of prejudiced jurors would be much smaller than anticipated.

  Mr. Tabor referred to a large number of letters of inquiry he had sent to different parts of the county, asking for an opinion as to whether his client might receive a fair and impartial trial in Placer County, and said that with few exceptions he had received a large number of negative answers.

  The attorney stated that his client did not want to move the Court for a change of venue, and had no intention of doing so at the present time.

  Judge Prewett said he desired both sides to choose an attorney form each side to consult with him on excuses for releasing jurymen. He said in view of the case being a very exceptional one he would be disposed to be liberal in excusing jurors. The selection of the Weber jury will probably take three days for examination, and for this reason no foreign witnesses will be summoned to appear before January 30th.

  Attorney F.P. TUTTLE, one of the Weber attorneys, asked that an order be made by the Court, allowing defendant’s attorneys to see a certain shorthand statement made by Weber to the Sheriff and District Attorney before his arrest, which statement is now in the possession of those officers. He also asked to be allowed to see a map of the grounds and surroundings of the Weber home which is being made by the County Surveyor.

  Judge Prewett suggested that not only a large map of the scene of the tragedy be made, but that twenty smaller blue prints of the same be issued so that each juror could be supplied with one, as well as the officers of the Court.

  This morning the Court took up Attorney Tuttle’s request for a copy of Weber’s statement made to a shorthand reporter and now in possession of the prosecution. A long argument followed during which the opposing attorneys - Tuttle and Tabor - became excited and used strong language in addressing each other.

  Tabor claimed he was not permitted to enter the Sheriff’s private office when Weber made his statement to the shorthand reporter. Tuttle denied the truth of Tabor’s remarks. Then followed a second spat between them. The Court finally put a stop to the wrangling and served notice on the lawyers that he would not stand for such conduct. He will impose fines if necessary.

  Judge Prewett then announced that he would take Attorney Tuttle’s request under advisement. He did not believe, he said, that he had the right to order a copy of Weber’s statement made, as the paper belonged to the prosecution. However, he suggested, the shorthand reporter could be put upon the stand and asked to tell what the statement contained.

  Judge Prewett asked if either side had any objections to his making a minute examination of the Weber premises. Each side entered no objection.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 14 - Redding has a new fire alarm system, of the Gamewell pattern. It was completed about four months ago, but it doesn’t work satisfactorily when put to the test.

  It has ben chiming off the mid-day hour and ringing the curfew in a delightfully charming manner, but when it is called upon to sound a fire alarm it bucks.

  There was a fire yesterday morning in Judge BUSH’s residence. An alarm was turned in at the box directly in front of the Judge’s home. The system did not respond. A run was made to the next box up town. The bell was as silent as the dead. A third box was tried, but no alarm followed. As a last resort, a run was made to the fire house and the bell was rung in the good old-fashioned way by pulling the rope.

  Chief KEENEY has given notice that he will give the system a try-out to-morrow afternoon, between 1 and 2. He will turn in an alarm from every box in town. He has given the notice in order that people may not be frightened when they hear the alarms ring.

  Judging by yesterday’s experience with the Gamewell, there is no danger of the people being frightened, notice or no notice.



CHICO (Butte Co.), January 14 - Yesterday D.B. COLEMAN, one of the oldest pioneer miners of Butte County, died at his home at John Adams, southeast of Chico, at the ripe old age of 80 years.

  The deceased crossed the plains for California in 1854 and since that time resided on Butte Creek, where he was engaged, alternately, as a miner and a merchant.

  Residing in this locality for fifty years, Mr. Coleman was well known among the mountaineers.

  The cause of his demise was pneumonia and paralysis. He leaves an aged wife and seven children.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 14 - The troubles of W.L. HARVEY continue to pile thick and fast upon him The Bee of Wednesday gave an account of several that had come upon him in less than two weeks, the last being a struggle he had in San Francisco to get possession of his daughter, Helen, aged 11, who had been kidnaped, it was alleged, by Mrs. Alameda M. NEWBERRY, his wife of years ago and mother of the child.

  Judge LAWLOR, in San Francisco, awarded the little girl to the father, and Harvey returned to Redding Thursday happy in the possession of his little daughter. But Mrs. Newberry followed on the next train and yesterday she filed a suit in the Superior Court asking for a modification of the Court’s original decree of divorce, whereby Mr. Harvey was awarded the custody of Helen, the divorced wife, now Mrs. Newberry, to be allowed only to visit Helen occasionally.

  Mrs. Newberry alleges all manner of things in her complaint, all of which will be ventilated when the case comes up on January 21st. In the meantime Mr. Harvey is prevented from removing Helen and Mrs. Newberry is to be permitted to call upon her at all reasonable hours without hindrance from Mr. Harvey.


SUSANVILLE (Lassen Co.), January 14 - The funeral of Mrs. Sarah JOHNSTON, widow of Otis Johnston, whose death was recorded in The Bee some months since, took place here this afternoon, and was largely attended.

  Mr. and Mrs. Johnston were among the oldest residents of Lassen County. While they had no children of their own, they raised, educated and started in life three or four poor children. They were a part of the “salt of the earth,” and their places will not soon be filled.



Prisoner at Vallejo Sought to Saw His Way Out of County Jail

VALLEJO (Solano Co.), January 14 - David BOND, the negro, who during Thursday night, a week ago, broke into the Orphan Asylum here, as told in The Bee of January 6th, attempted to escape from the county jail yesterday afternoon about 4:20 o’clock. His purpose was discovered by the merest accident, and, as a consequence, the prisoner is now confined in a steel cell, the officers declining to take any chances in his case.

  The County Auditor late yesterday afternoon had his attention attracted by a noise that sounded like some one filing underneath the room he occupied.  His suspicions were at once aroused and he hastened to tell the officers that he thought one of their prisoners was endeavoring to regain his liberty. They immediately investigated, going to Bond’s cell.

  The negro, who had heard their approach, pretended to be asleep when his cell was reached, but the officers were not deceived. They entered and a search of the room revealed a file hidden away. It was at once confiscated and the prisoner removed to a steel cell.

  Bond appeared in the Court here yesterday and was held to answer on the charge of burglary. He has not yet been given a hearing on the heinous charge of having attempted to rape one of the little girls in the Orphans’ Home on the night he is said to have committed the burglary.

  George DEEN and E.W. HAWKINS, the two men accused of having robbed barber shops and other places, were also bound over to the Superior Court yesterday.



FAIRFIELD (Solano Co.), January 14 - William B. ROBINSON and Lyda D. CROSETT, of Grass Valley, arrived in Fairfield Tuesday evening, obtained a marriage license and wended their way to the M.E. parsonage, where they were united in marriage by Rev. J.F. KELLOGG. Mr. Robinson pledged Deputy Clerk J.N. WATSON and the officiating clergymen to secrecy, but there was a leak somewhere along the line and the news became public.



STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), January 14 - A new disease has fastened its death grip upon the horses of this county. The disease has characteristics of its own and has yet to be named. It is something entirely new and is not mentioned in the text books. The first cases to be noticed occurred in this city, and since then horses all over the county have fallen victims of the disease.

  The immediate effect of the disease is paralysis of the throat. When an animal first feels the clutches of the sickness there is a slight discharge from the head similar to ordinary distemper. The next condition is that of paralysis of the vocal chords and the epiglottis. It soon becomes impossible for the horse to breathe, and he literally chokes to death.

  A peculiar thing about the affliction is that there is no swelling in the neck of throat. If fact the throat is inclined to waste away.


            SALOON ROBBED

COTTONWOOD (Shasta Co.), January 14 - Some time Thursday night, between the hours of 10 p.m. and daylight, the saloon building belonging to Joseph ROTH was entered through a window and about $40 in gold was taken from the cash register, which was carried behind the store owned by Geo. M. BUTTERWAY and robbed of its contents.

  It is Roth’s custom to take all cash home with him every night, but Thursday night he forgot it. There is no clue to the burglar, but it is thought to have been done by someone from this place.

Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com



Sacramento Evening Bee

Monday, January 16, 1905


            CHARGE REDUCED

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 16 - The charge of grand larceny entered against Dan HARMON, the Sacramento barber accused of extracting $5 from the pocket of an old man in a saloon, has been reduced to petty larceny. The prisoner has demanded a jury trial and the case will be heard in the Police Court on the 24th inst.



Butte County Growers Condemn Practice and Plan to Effect Organization

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), January 16 - A.R. SPRAGUE, of the California Fruit Exchange, addressed the orange growers at their meeting here Saturday, the proceedings of which have been partially told in The Bee. He scored the growers for submitting to the evil conditions from year to year and making no attempt to improve them. R.M. GREEN, E. TUCKER, BARTLEY, TRAVERS, CRANE, REPPERT, KERR, BITLEY, SANCOMB, GINGLES, WATERHOUSE, BOLT and FITZGERALD, also made interesting remarks on the subject of organization.

  All agreed that organization must be perfected to prevent the marketing of green citrus fruit, or Butte County’s reputation will suffer. It is an undisputed fact that green oranges were shipped from here this year, and this, too, when there were plenty of ripe ones to fill the orders. The growers do not want this to happen again, and the speakers urged it as one strong reason why they should organize. They also argued that the organization would be of vast importance to them in marketing the fruit; full benefits from their groves would then be realized.

  Mrs. Smith told of how her crop had been shipped by a packing Company. She received no returns for the oranges but instead was confronted with a bill for the expense of handling same.

  Mr. Sprague said that Superior California oranges ripen six weeks earlier than those of the south, and, by organization of the growers, can be made to pay handsomely. He suggested that enough acreage ought to be secured to conduct a local packing house where all growers could receive equal and just treatment, and that, if the growers of Butte have courage enough to stand by such an organization and put competent people at the head of it, there is no reason why an organization cannot be kept up among the orange growers here just as well as in the southern part of the State or elsewhere.

  A Committee, as mentioned in Saturday’s Bee, was appointed to canvass among the growers and secure the necessary acreage. Your correspondent interviewed a number of prominent growers and gave it as their opinion that the required acreage would be easily secured. In fact, the Committee already has a large acreage subscribed, and will not let up until it secures the desired amount.

  The orange men are considerably worked up. They believe they have not got all they should out of their holdings and also that Butte County’s reputation as a citrus fruit section is liable to suffer, if something is not done immediately. Consequently, they say they must have an organization and stop trying yo go it alone, in competition with each other.

  The Committee is hard at work and expects to be ready in the near future with a sufficient acreage subscribed to call a meeting to perfect the desired organization.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), January 16 - An accident which, luckily, did not prove very serious, occurred a few miles from here last night. T.J. KELLY, the well-known stove dealer and plumber of this place, and Professor GRACE, principal of the Oroville schools, were driving along ahead of a four-horse team hauling a load of passengers, all returning from the Shriners’ Conclave at Chico. Kelly and Grace were a few yards in advance of the four-horse team, which was in charge of Frank ATKINS, when, for some reason, their horse stopped and before Atkins could check his team there was a smash-up. For an instant it was thought someone had been badly injured, but an investigation showed that the only damage done was a badly smashed up buggy.



Prosecution Says Disappearance of Witness Fellows Is Not Material

AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 16 - The report of the clash between the attorneys in the Weber case on Saturday, as published in The Bee, was in error in naming Attorney F.P. TUTTLE as one of the irate barristers, the trouble was between Attorney TABOR and District Attorney ROBINSON, and it was the attacks of the latter that caused the Court to announce his intention to heavily fine any attorney in the future who should make similar charges.

  Besides minute maps which are being made of the scene of the great tragedy, photographers were busy yesterday taking pictures of various points about the Weber home, and view points along the route which Weber is said to have followed the night he left his home to take his accustomed walk. Every part of the barn and calf pen where the money and bloody revolver were found has been photographed to be used during the trial.

  During the imprisonment of Weber he has made an elaborate plan and drawings of his home and surroundings which his attorneys declare are as accurate as could be made by an experienced surveyor.

  The departure of A.D. FELLOWS is now declared by the prosecution to be of on (sic) importance to their case, as his testimony does not bear on the importance of the facts they propose to prove, the prosecution is confident of conviction. They expect to connect several important links of evidence at the trial by testimony which was not brought out at the preliminary.

  The announcement that an Oakland pawnbroker would identify Weber as having purchased from him the 32-caliber revolver which killed the Webers, has been known for some time, but the officers have also intimated that this important witness is not a pawnbroker. They have declined to state, however, what his real vocation is.

  Nothing in the way of evidence has developed to show that young Weber was on amicable terms with his family. Young Weber was ambitious to embark on business for himself, but those schemes were always opposed by his father, who urged that he go to school and finish his education first.

  Some time ago, it is related, Weber visited friends who were engaged in the cattle business and remained on the stock ranch for quite awhile. When he returned home he was eager for his father to invest in stock, but his father again reminded him that his education was of more importance.

  The theory that Weber killed his family because it is presumed they discovered him to be the bank robber does not gain general credence, as there has been not the slightest evidence to show that the Webers thought the boy a bank robber.

  This morning 100 jurors were drawn, and a copy of the list containing their names was given to each set of attorneys. Each juror’s name is numbered, and in any case where the opposing attorneys return the same number as objected to, the man so enumerated will be dropped. This procedure is something new here, and it will be watched by lawyers and the public with interest.



Mine Locators Want Possession of Little Shasta County Settlement

REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 16 - Possession of $25,000 worth of Harrison Gulch town property is the issue that is being tried in the case that was called in the Superior Court this morning.

  The case arises from the conflict between SHERK, FLETCHER and LARGE, who located the Bonanza mining claim several years ago, and the Townsite Company. The latter applied for a patent on the ground, claiming that the Bonanza was not mineral ground. The issue was tried out in the Land Office last Summer in a six weeks’ investigation. The townsite people lost, and later the Commissioner of the General Land Office sustained Sherk and partners.

   To complicate matters still more, the townsite people, claiming that assessment work had not been done on the Bonanza for the year 1903, jumped the claim, locating as mineral ground the very land that they had all along maintained contained no mineral at all.

  Sherk and partners have not yet received the patent which they expect, but having had every decision in their favor so far, they want possession of the goods. They want the greater part of the business portion of the mining town of Harrison Gulch, in the extreme southwestern corner of Shasta County, and damages from those who have been occupying their premises for several years and paying them no rent.

  That is the issue that is now being tried in the Superior Court. The best part of the population of Harrison Gulch is here as witnesses, and it is expected that the case will last about two weeks.



SPARKS (Nev.), January 16 - The people of this city are furious over the fatal assault committed by Daniel REGAN upon his aged mother-in-law, Mrs. Harriett HESS, a respected woman of this city. When the first news of the crime broke upon the place the people would hardly credit it and when they learned of the deed in all its horror their anger knew no bounds. It is fortunate, indeed, that Regan has been removed to the Reno jail, a strong structure, where there will be no chance for the prisoner to fall into the hands of his former neighbors. In the meantime the family of the dead woman is prostrated over the terrible death of the aged mother.

  Regan is a cigar dealer. He came home drunk about 12 o’clock Saturday night. He was in company with Ernest VonKoch, a roomer. When he knocked at the back door, he was asked to enter by the front door, which was unlocked. This angered him and he broke down the door, after which he entered the house and began to smash the furniture.

  Mrs. Hess ran into the room in her night clothing to see what the trouble was. Regan knocked her down with a shovel. She staggered to her feet and begged Regan to desist, upon which he struck her several vicious blows, one of them landing over her heart. She dropped to the floor and when picked up was in a dying condition. As she was laid on the bed by her daughter, Miss Nellie HESS, Regan cursed them both, and said that Mrs. Hess was only shamming. He continued to abuse the household until placed under arrest and hurried to Reno.

  Nellie Hess, the girl, says that Regan had frequently beat her mother and that they were all afraid of him. (Rest of article cut off).


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com


Sacramento Evening Bee

Tuesday, January 17, 1905



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 17 - No newspaper reporter takes closer notes of the Weber case than the defendant himself. During the times he sits in the Court-room he is busy making notes of the different events which take place. In his cell he writes most of the time and hands some of his manuscript to his attorneys. This is believed to contain suggestions on the conduct of his trial. The prisoner is obliged to write by lamp-light, as his cell is very dark at all times and away from the west windows of the jail where only a faint light comes in through the heavy screen and bars.

  Weber still maintains his perfect unconcern, and his approaching trial has caused no noticeable signs of worry or anxiety. He always appears in Court with his light overcoat on. He has dispensed with headgear, and does not wear a hat. Of late he has been attended by Deputy FULTON, who accompanies him to and from his barred quarters.

  As several preliminary points to the case have been raised, Weber has been before the Court quite frequently of late, though no spectators have been on hand, as no previous announcements of his appearances had been made.

  No progress has been made in settling the ownership of the coin found on the Weber place near the barn since Judge Prewett’s refusal to ratify Administrator Shepard’s final account in the Weber estate which did not include the contested money.

  The Administrator is in a dilemma, with the Placer County Bank and those who claim the reward for finding the money on one side and the attorneys for the Weber estate on the other. He is anxious that the contest be brought to an issue as soon as possible so that he can turn the money over to one side or the other. He will not, however, relinquish it except upon an order of Court. The bank people offered to give the administrator an indemnity bond if he would turn the money over to them, but he refused to do this.

  As predicted by The Bee, Judge Prewett yesterday denied the request of Adolph Weber’s counsel for an order directing the District Attorney to deliver to them a copy of the testimony given by the defendant prior to the preliminary examination. He said he found that the Court had no power to make the order.

  Judge Prewett, in denying the order, said that a short time after the alleged murder the defendant, a minor, was taken to the Sheriff’s office and questioned. He probably was excited, and, though he had not the benefit of counsel, was probably aware of what he said. The Court said he did not think the officers had exceeded their authority, but on the contrary, acted in an eminently proper way.



SANTA ROSA (Sonoma Co.), January 17 - Since the publication to the world of the development of the everlasting and fadeless flower by Luther BURBANK, that gentleman has received a number of flattering offers for that creation. As the flower has not yet been developed to the full satisfaction of the wizard of horticulture, he has refused to sell it. In the future, when his ideal of perfection has been realized, Burbank will dispose of his remarkable creation. Burbank himself believes the fadeless flower will be principally used for the adornment of feminine headdress, but he says as the ladies are so changeable he does not recommend the flower for that particular purpose.


            N.T. ROOT DEAD

STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), January 17 - Nathan T. ROOT, who had been the Secretary of the Stockton Grange for seventeen years, passed away yesterday at the age of 82 years. The deceased was a native of Rochester, N.Y., and came to California in 1852.



GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), January 17 - Warren HOSKING, a well-known young man of this city, drove his wife out of her home at the point of a pistol on Monday morning about 2 o’clock. He had been drinking all evening, and when he returned to his home he demanded that his wife open the door at once. As soon as he entered his wife’s room he ordered her to dress within fifteen minutes or he would blow her brains out, at the same time thrusting his revolver at her head.

  The woman put on such clothes as were absolutely necessary and ran to the home of her parents, several blocks away. After she had left the house, Hosking fired a shot from his revolver and fell to the floor groaning as though he had been shot. The people living in the other side of the house went in to see what the trouble was and found Hosking rising to his feet. He had shot in the air and was not injured.

  Hosking then left the house, meeting an officer on the way. Upon seeing the latter he ran and entered the house of his wife’s parents, where he demanded to see his wife. He was met by his wife’s brother with a shotgun. The two were about to have a fight when the officer entered, taking Hosking away with him. The affair created no end of talk, and many of the people living in the neighborhood of the shooting and trouble are indignant over the man’s actions.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 17 - J.J. SANCHEZ, the Mexican drover who is being held at the City Prison as a witness against Frankie WILLIAMS, the colored woman who stabbed him one night last week, is ill with the first symptoms of pneumonia, and it is feared he will experience a serious change before the case comes to trial. The woman has employed an attorney to defend her against the charge of attempted murder which has been placed against her.



SUISUN (Solano Co.), January 17 - At the cement works Sunday afternoon, between 2 and 3 o’clock, James HALEY and Wm. HUGHES were injured by an explosion of dynamite and died in a few hours.

  Haley had been employed as powder man at the cement works for about five months and was engaged on Sunday in thawing out the dynamite used in blasting. He did that by heating waster on the forge in the blacksmith shop, taking it to the powder house and immersion of the powder in the hot water.

  When the explosion occurred Haley was heating a can of water. It is supposed that he did not get fresh water each time and that either he left a stick of dynamite in the can or the water had absorbed enough glycerine to cause an explosion.

  At any rate, the can exploded. The men were found immediately and were quickly taken to the County Hospital, about three miles from the works for treatment. Hughes died about 6 o’clock Sunday afternoon and Haley at 1 o’clock Sunday morning.

  Haley was a native of Iowa, aged 56 years, and Hughes, 63 years of age, was a native of Illinois. Neither is supposed to have been married.

  Coroner J.J. McDONALD came from Vallejo yesterday evening, and held an inquest on the remains of the two men. The jury brought in a verdict that they came to their deaths from the accidental explosion of dynamite.



LODI (San Joaquin Co.), January 17 - Ray BOWLING, aged 10 years, suffered a peculiar accident last week, but the extent of his injuries was not ascertained until yesterday. A week ago he was playing marbles with a companion. They were playing for “keeps” and the loser wanted his marbles back, but the winner refused to give up.

  Next day the loser of the marble game discovered young Bowling on a bicycle. He asked him if he would give him the marbles and Bowling said no. Then he threw a rock at the boy who won the marbles.

  No apparent injury was done, but yesterday the boy felt peculiar pains in his right wrist and upon medical examination it was discovered that the bone had been broken and it had commenced to mend. It was necessary to put the child under chloroform, break the arm and reset it.



Stockton Man Will Plead Insanity in Murder Case

RENO (Nev.), January 17 - Al LINDERMAN, one of the four men charged with a sensational murder in Humboldt County, was placed on trial in the District Court this afternoon after two days had been exhausted in selecting a jury. Linderman, or WILLIAMS, as he is called, will enter a plea of insanity, and his attorneys have hopes of clearing him on this ground. His three companions, GORMAN, SEVENER and ROBERTS, have already been convicted, and are now in the prison at Carson, awaiting the carrying out of the death sentence.

  Linderman is a Stockton man, and his mother and step-father live there at present.

  The murder of Jack WELCH took place nearly two years ago, in Humboldt County, near Lovelock. Welch was riding home on a freight train when he was robbed and thrown from a box car by four men. As he hung upon the side of the car the murderers crushed his fingers with their heavy shoes to make him release his hold, and when he failed to do this they riddled him with bullets. He lay on the frozen ground all night, but lived until the next day, when he identified the four alleged murderers on his death bed.

  The case was first tried in Winnemucca, but was sent back for a retrial by the Supreme Court. It was then venued to Reno, and three of the men were tried together and sentenced to be hanged. Linderman was given a separate trial.

  The attorneys for the defense have already taken an appeal in the case of the three men to the Supreme Court, where the Linderman case will also be carried.


Ran Down Town Clad Only in Short Gown

RENO (Nev.), January 17 - Zach TAYLOR, a young man of the city, spent last night in jail, the result of a spree, during which he left the house where he was staying and ran through the lower end of Center Street, clad in only a short night shirt. He was caught near the City Hall by a couple of officers, who dragged him to jail in his scant attire and locked him up. Taylor could make no explanation of his remarkable conduct further than to say that he was drunk and not responsible for his actions.


General Assembly of Nevada Has Organized

CARSON (Nev.), January 17 - The Nevada General Assembly, which met yesterday at high noon, has at last perfected its organization and is now descending to hard work, as there is a vast amount of business to be disposed of before adjournment, fifty days hence. The House is Republican for the first time in many years, but the Democrats have control of the Senate, the majority in each instance having a sufficient number of votes to place it in good working order.

  For Speaker of the House, Sam PLATT, of Carson, was chosen. H.E. FREUDENTHAL, of Lincoln County, was appointed Clerk. W.D. PHILIPS, of Washoe, was elected Sergeant-at-Arms. J.A. MILLER, of Lander, was made President pro tem, of the Senate; C.H. McINTOSH, of Humboldt, Secretary, and John ROBB, of Washoe, Sergeant-at-Arms.

  On the 24th of January the two houses will meet in joint session and elect George S. NIXON United States Senator to succeed Wm. M. STEWART.


Death Claims Former City Recorder of Los Angeles

FALLON (Nev.), January 17 - Fred H. TEALL, former City Recorder of Los Angeles, is dead at this place. His remains will be sent to Los Angeles, where they will be interred under the direction of Mrs. Teall and his aged parents, who are still living in that city.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com


Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, January 18, 1905



Troubles of the Hanks of Interest in Oroville, Red Bluff and Gridley

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), January 18 - The Gridley story in The Bee of Monday evening, in regard to the matrimonial troubles of John HANKS and wife, created considerable comment in Oroville and brought to light additional facts in the case.

  The report is circulated here that some days ago Hanks came to Oroville and went to where his wife is stopping and demanded to see his child. He was informed that as soon as an officer arrived his request would be granted. An officer was sent for and when he arrived the child was taken from a room in which it had been locked upon the husband’s arrival, and brought into his presence. It is said that instead of caressing the child with fatherly love, he began to heap abuse upon his wife, which he carried on until, it is said, Officer REILY told him to desist from further abuse. Hanks then left.

  Attorney George GARDNER, the woman’s attorney, soon after went to Red Bluff, where Hanks’ father was at the time, for the purpose of stating his client’s side of the case to the elder Hanks. The father, according to reports, returned with the attorney and interviewed the wife of his son, making her a proposition that she keep the boy one-half the time and the father the other one-half. The woman declined, saying that if they once took the boy to their home in Klamath Falls, Oregon, where the elder Hanks has a large stock ranch, she may never get the babe again. So the elder Hanks returned without the child.

  The opinion prevails here that the older Hanks are very fond of their grandchild and are desirous of getting it away from Mrs. Hanks, and are likely to leave him, if they do, considerable property.

  While here the husband made a search for witnesses which might aid him in his proceedings in Court, but just who will be called, if any, is not known.

  Both the parties are well known in Oroville and the sensation is the all absorbing topic discussed here at present. Each has friends here and many heated arguments are heard, though in a majority of the cases the sympathy seems to be with Mrs. Hanks.

  It is hinted that some prominent parties will be brought into the case as witnesses.



VACAVILLE (Solano Co.), January 18 - Dan Regan, who in a drunken frenzy beat his aged mother-in-law, Mrs. Harriet HESSE, in such a manner as to cause almost immediate death, at Sparks, Nev., early Sunday morning, as told in The Bee, was well known here, where he was reared from childhood. He left here some months ago, accompanied by his wife, to engage in business in the new Nevada railroad town. While addicted to the excessive use of liquor at times, he was not known to possess murderous tendencies. His father, who preceded him, recently died there under sad conditions. Much sympathy is expressed for the poor aged mother here, who, left all alone, looks back on a life where family discord and a succession of tragic incidents bring naught but heart burnings and tears.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 18 - The case against John Joseph POWERS, charged at first with burglary, but now with petty larceny, promises to end as farcically as did the case of William B. MURPHY, who robbed a nickel-in-the-slot machine.

  After Powers’ case has dragged along for about eight weeks it is discovered that the prosecuting witness has disappeared. Marshal MABEN having been notified that the missing man had gone to Wheatland, made a search in that vicinity yesterday, but could find no trace of the fellow. Powers is charged with taking money from the pockets of the man while both were occupying one room in a hotel. The Superior Court on habeas corpus proceedings decided that he was not guilty of burglary, hence the minor charge now against him.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), January 18 - The report was current here yesterday that a few days ago a stranger had been in town trying to sell horses which answered the description of those driven by Dr. Brown, of Biggs, at the time of his mysterious disappearance. The rumors, however, appear to be without much foundation. No one seems able to tell just how they originated.

  Those best acquainted with Dr. Brown do not feel much alarmed at this non-appearance. They are confident he will make his whereabouts known soon. They do not believe he has met with foul play.


GRIDLEY, (Butte Co.), January 18 - C.S. BROWN, the veterinarian whose prolonged and unexplained absence from home aroused the fears of his friends, has been heard from. A letter from Brown, bearing date of January 16th, has been received here. He is in San Francisco.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), January 18 - Mrs. Maggie HILL, wife of Jacob Hill, a business man of this place, died yesterday afternoon after an illness of about twenty-four hours, from heart trouble. She leaves a husband, eight sons and one daughter.



Discouraged, and Without Money or Work, He Sought Death                                         

DAVISVILLE (Yolo Co.), January 18 - Sitting upright on the porch of the annex to the Hunt Hotel, in this place, the body of a dead man was found this morning about 6:45. Leaning against him was an umbrella, and so life-like did the corpse appear that Druggist J.W. CAMPBELL, who was the first to see it, thought it was a drunken man, sleeping off a jag.

  He went up to the body and placed his hands on the face. It was still warm. Several minutes elapsed before it was discovered that the man was dead. Evidently he had not long passed away at the time, and his end must have come very peacefully.

  Out in the street, a little while later, Editor W.H. SCOTT, of the Davisville Enterprise, found a bottle that contained a small quantity of carbolic acid. This find, taken in conjunction with the strong smell of the drug on the man’s dead body, convinced the officers that a suicide had been committed. The Coroner at this writing has not held an inquest, but his jury undoubtedly will return a verdict of death by poison, self-administered.

  The dead man is about 60 years of age. He was a German and wore a gray mustache. Nothing to identify him could be found beyond two scraps of paper. One of these was a word or two in German, evidently a memorandum of some sort. The other was a receipt from The Sacramento Bee. It was dated January 7, 1905, and was numbered 229. It did not bear his name.

  No money or valuables of any sort were found on his person. Every indication points to the suicide of an old man, heart sick and weary, without funds and unable to get an opportunity to earn any. Unless friends come forward, the body will have to be buried by the county.


Investigation in the business office of The Bee discloses that an old man answering the description  of the Davisville suicide put a “situation wanted ad” in this paper on January 7th, and that it was numbered 229. The clerk who took the order recalled the transaction, but neither he nor anyone else in the office knew anything of the advertiser. He wanted a position as porter in a restaurant or hotel. His name was not given at this office. The advertisement, under this paper’s rules governing insertions of that class, was not paid for, and the only address set forth was this office, under the number 229.



SUSANVILLE (Lassen Co.), January 18 - On last Thursday, the 12th inst., when the physicians had abandoned hope of the recovery of Walter WOOD, Frank WOOD, a brother of the deceased, was in his trapping camp at Silver Lake, on the headwaters of Susan River, some forty odd miles from here, and in the snow belt.

  Hurried preparations were made to get notice to him. A sleigh and driver, a young man named WARD, and Hi MOYER, an old mountaineer and miner, equipped with nine-foot snow-shoes, started out about noon on Thursday and drove to the McCOY sheep camp, about eighteen miles distant, that evening. The camp was, of course, deserted at this time of year, but it afforded shelter and feed for the team, which was left there, and the next morning Mr. Moyer started on snow shoes for the camp on Silver Lake.

  On account of a heavy rain the snow was soft, and he was two days in reaching the camp. It was feared some accident had befallen him, and a rescue party, consisting of ex-Sheriff F.P. CADY, H. ENHORNING and H. C. MORRILL, all old hands in mountain snow storms, started out on Moyer’s trail.

  They suffered many hardships, but met Moyer and Wood a short distance from camp on their way in. The party arrived here about 8 p.m. Monday night, safe and sound, but too late for the funeral of Walter Wood.



WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), January 18 - Two more jurors were secured yesterday in the Fred Shock murder trial. They are Walter NILES of Deadwood and C.E. CUNNINGHAM of Trinity Center. They make four jurors secured out of the first venire of sixty talesmen, and the prosecution and defense have each used only half of their peremptory challenges.

  Tuesday afternoon Judge BARTLETT ordered the Sheriff to summon a special venire of thirty talesmen. There being only six more men in the box to examine, Court was adjourned over Wednesday and to-morrow morning the case will be resumed. The Sheriff needed to-day to call the special venire.


            JUDGE RAISH TO WED

MARYSVILLE (Butte Co.), January 18 - Marysville’s Police Judge, Ralph H. RAISH, is in a very lenient mood this week, and the law officers and their charges are agreed that it is all on account of to-morrow being his wedding day. He does not deny that such an event is on the tapis. The lady of his choice is Miss Cordie SMITH, daughter of Mrs. M.E. SMITH, of this city.


Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com


Sacramento Evening Bee

Thursday, January 19, 1905



In Jealous Rage Truckee Gambler Kills His Mistress and Puts an End to His Own Life

TRUCKEE (Nevada C0.), January 19 - Joseph WALLACE, a gambler, last midnight shot and instantly killed Edna MUIR, his mistress, in the Red Light dancing hall, and then turned the weapon on himself, putting a hole through his body above the heart and one in his mouth.

  Just before the tragedy, Wallace entered the Barrel House Saloon and ordered a mixed drink of whisky and absinthe. He told the bartender he wanted a strong stimulant. He left the saloon immediately and went direct to the dancing hall and entered the kitchen, where Mrs. Muir was seated at a table.

  A few minutes passed and then five consecutive shots were heard, and, closely following, two more.

  The Deputy Coroner was summoned at once.

  Wallace had shot the woman in the right hand, elbow and shoulder, right breast and leg.

  He shot himself to the right of his heart, the bullet passing through his body. He then placed the gun in his mouth and shot himself again.

  When the officers entered the room the form of Edna Muir was lying on the floor at the foot of the bed. Wallace was on his knees, with his head and shoulder on the bed. The revolver was a few inches from his hand. Both had been instantly killed.

  Trouble arose between the former lovers, jealousy being the cause. Wallace threatened the woman’s life if she had anything to do with James MUIR, and made good his threat when convinced the woman was not true.

  Mrs. Belle LORD was her right name. Her parents live in Eureka, Cal.

  Little is known of Wallace.



Kennett, The New Smelter Town, The Scene of Great Activity At Present Time

KENNETT (Shasta Co.), January 19 - Some idea of how busy a place this is now may be gathered from the fact that the Mammoth Copper Company has 150 men at work on its new smelter site; the Southern Pacific Company has a crew of eighty Japanese building a spur track to the smelter site; Charles BUTTERS has sixty men at work on the water works that are to supply the town with water for domestic and fire protection purposes, and there are several good-sized crews of carpenters working on buildings for private parties. Twenty-three teams are employed at grading for the smelter buildings.

  The greatest trouble is found to provide sleeping quarters for this multitude. Many live in tents. Those having blankets are allowed to make their beds any place at night - on the floors of the saloons, in the waiting room at the depot, under the platform, in empty box cars, or on porches of business buildings. A stranger has no show to get first-class hotel accommodations unless he engages them ahead of his arrival. This lack of accommodations will not continue long, for carpenters are enlarging old hotels and building new ones as fast as the weather conditions and supply of building material will permit.

  The booming town will soon be provided with electric lights by the Northern California Power Company, which will supply the Mammoth Company with both power and light at the smelter and mine. The Sunset Telephone Company has promised to establish an exchange here as soon as the loop can be built to the main line, which runs four miles to the east of Kennett.

  A $10,000 brick hotel will be put up right away. Grading for the foundation has begun and material is arriving. This brick is only the forerunner of several others that will quickly follow. The new mining and smelter town will have more brick buildings than are ordinarily seen in a town that has a sudden growth. This is because the brick and lime are produced close at hand.

  There are now five saloons in Kennett, but several; others will open as soon as quarters can be provided. Rooms in business buildings are rented before the work of construction of the building has even been commenced. The saloons keep open all night, not only on account of there being business at all hours, but so as to permit laborers to throw their blankets upon the floor and sleep beneath a roof. The saloon that has the biggest floor and the biggest stove has the largest number of lodgers.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 19 - A boy 19 years old procured a marriage license in Redding yesterday to marry a widow 29 years his senior. He had the written consent of his mother and was accompanied to the Court House by the son of his prospective bride. The son was several years older than his prospective step-father.

  The parties to this unusual matrimonial alliance are Mrs. Mary WAGONER, of Redding, aged 48, the bride; Freddie ALFORD, of Redding, aged 19, the groom; Mrs. L. BURCH, the consenting mother of the groom, and Thomas RAGLAND, obliging stepson. The couple were married last evening by Justice of the Peace BUSH.



OLINDA (Shasta Co.), January 19 - A Farmers’ Institute will be held here on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week under the auspices of the University of California. The principal instructors will be Prof. W.T. CLARKE, Prof. Edward BERWICK and Dr. C.M. HARING. The farmers of this part of Happy Valley have prepared an interesting program in connection with the learned papers that will be presented by the University Professors.


            $200 FOR INFORMATION

REDDING (Shasta Co.), January 19 - Sheriff RICHARDSON has issued circular descriptions of the two robbers who held up the Hotel Keswick at Keswick last Wednesday night. He offers $200 reward for any information that will lead to the arrest and conviction of either of the bandits. There is absolutely no clew to work upon.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), January 19 - Word reached this city late yesterday that a dead body had been found on the banks of Deer Creek, near Newtown. Coroner HOCKING left for the scene this morning to bring the body to this city, where an inquest will be held.

    Only the most meager information was sent to the Coroner. The body, it is believed from appearance, had been washed down the creek several weeks ago, having been left by the receding waters on a gravely beach. It is in such a condition that identification of the dead man may never be established.

  Nobody has been reported missing, and it is thought that, in all likelihood the man was a stranger who fell into the creek and was drowned. A close examination will be made of the body to determine whether death was due to accident or foul play.



MONTAGUE (Siskiyou Co.), January 19 - Clarence PRATHER, who was shot in the hip by D. McNAMES last Saturday, was walking our streets on Monday. Although a bullet from a 44-caliber pistol passed entirely through him, he does not think it necessary to stay in bed. McNames is in jail at Yreka, awaiting arraignment.



MONTAGUE (Siskiyou Co.), January 19 - Mrs. Flora DEXTER, wife of S.J. Dexter, a prominent rancher and old resident of this county, died at this place on the 16th inst., after a short illness. She was aged 56 years, and had been a resident of Siskiyou for about thirty years.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), January 19 - Information has been given out from authoritative sources in this city that interested people, chief among whom is the Ayer estate, owning about 10,000 acres of fruit land near Smarstville, have commenced negotiations to have the proposed Grass Valley-Marysville Railroad route run by way of Smartsville and through the Ayer tracts. It is understood that negotiations are in progress with John MARTIN whose Company, it is believed, is having the present survey made.

  Engineers are now running lines from the end of the electric car tracks in Grass Valley to Spencerville, and from the latter place will swing around toward Marysville. This route would leave Smartsville ten miles or more from the line. The Smartsville route was once surveyed at the instance of the Ayer people, but nothing further was done, although they said they would build the road. By this route Newtown, near the scene of dredge mining, would be reached and dredger traffic would go over the road.

  By the Spencerville route, which is ten miles longer, but less expensive to build, large traffic from copper and mineral paint mines would be secured. It is expected that the Ayer people will offer to contribute the difference in the cost of construction to have the route changed.



Sacramento Bank May Buy Outstanding Mortgages To Extent of $25,000.

AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 19 - Adolph WEBER did not leave his cell yesterday, as no matters or motions pertaining to the Weber case came up before the Court. The prisoner seemed out of sorts on his last appearance in the Court-room, and several thought he was ill. But his jailer states that he has noticed no unusual signs of ill health about the prisoner.

  Weber’s attorneys have requested the Court to order a daily transcript made of the testimony in the case. This request was not concurred in by the District Attorney, and the Court will decide next Monday whether to make such an order or not. On this date it will also be decided whether the shorthand statement made by the defendant before his arrest may be placed in the hands of the defendant’s attorneys. Both sides will present argument in support of their contentions.

  John ADAMS, administrator of the Weber estates, went to San Francisco yesterday to look after property in Oakland and San Francisco, and have an appraisement made of the property.

  The Weber estate does not possess much ready money. It is almost wholly invested in securities. There has been some talk of a Sacramento bank taking up all the outstanding mortgages belonging to the estate, but no definite negotiations have as yet been reached. The amount of the outstanding mortgages is $25,000, all invested in good security.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), January 19 - The examination of William AUSTIN was held at Roseville yesterday before Justice H.O. TRIPPETT. Austin is charged with entering an unoccupied house and taking a trunk and other articles. The investigation yesterday developed nothing, and it is the opinion of the officers that there is no case against the man.

  The prosecuting witness appeared at the examination in an intoxicated state and no evidence was brought out substantiating the prisoner’s guilt. The case was postponed for two weeks until further investigation can be made. The fact that Austin was seen in the house from which the articles were taken is the only evidence so far against him.



Submitted by Betty Loose betty@unisette.com




© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Golden Nugget Library's Sacramento County Databases