Sacramento County
Biographies
FREDERICK S. HARRISON
FREDERICK S. HARRISON.--A very
interesting personality is the distinguished representative of the
architectural profession in Sacramento County,
Frederick S. Harrison, who was born in far-off, romantic and beautiful Tasmania,
having first seen the light at Hobart,
on July 23, 1885. His father was Arthur Harrison, an influential gentleman of
that country, who had married Miss Alice E. Sharp; and fortunate in such
progressive parents, our subject enjoyed the best of educational advantages. He
spent his boyhood days in Honolulu, and then went off to Toronto,
where he pursued the thorough courses, first of the preparatory school and then
of the college proper, at the Upper Canada
college in that city. After that, he entered the office of Messrs. Gregg &
Gregg, architects, of Toronto, where he spent a year very profitably, and on
his return to Honolulu, he took charge of the Arthur Harrison Mill Company,
Ltd., for a couple of years. After that he was in the United
States district court as deputy clerk for Honolulu,
an office he filled with signal ability, for three years.
During
this time, too, Mr. Harrison worked at his profession, architecture; and after
the San Francisco fire, he came to the United
States, and for two years was engaged in
wrecking operations at the scene of the great disaster, and also in
superintending important rebuilding. Then he was with Messrs. Bliss &
Faville, architects, for a couple of years, and after that he took up special
studies at the University of California, where he mastered the work he essayed
so well that he was the only one to make Grade 1.
In
1912 Mr. Harrison came to Sacramento,
and was for three years in the state architect's office. Then he was chief
draughtsman for Messrs. Cuffs & Diggs, and drew the plans for the Thompson-Diggs
Building, the Travelers' Hotel, and Chauncey
Dunn Apartments, and became superintendent for the city of Sacramento
on the construction of the Western Pacific warehouse. Then he continued in the
engineer's department of the city as architect and draughtsman and worked out
the architectural problems of the Inhoof Tanks and the Ice Plant, the
incinerators, the remodeling and the addition to the Water Works. He was also superintendent of construction of Oak
Park fire station. Then he was deputy building
inspector, and city building inspector for five years.
Mr.
Harrison opened his own office as architect in the People's Bank
Building in 1918, and ever since he
started there he has been more than successful. His wide and varied experience,
his expert training, and his agreeable disposition as a professional adviser
anxious to serve and to please his patrons, have all contributed to provide for
him an enviable clientele.
He
is a member of the Exchange Club, and the Architects and Engineers Club. He is
a member of Schiller Lodge No. 105, I. O. O. F., and is a past grand. He served
two years as president of the Odd Fellows Club and was also vice-president of
the Odd Fellows Relief, and is a member of Sacramento Lodge No. 6, B. P. O. E.,
and an appreciated member of the Chamber of Commerce of Sacramento. He is also
a member of the Press Club of San Francisco. He resigned his professional
position in order to join the engineers in the World War, but on account of his
domestic ties his application was not accepted.
At
San Rafael, Mr. Harrison was married to Miss Lillian E.
Taylor, a native of Denver, Colo.,
but a resident of Sacramento; and
their fortunate union was blessed with the birth of two children: Lillian Alice
and Ruby Florence.
Transcribed by Vicky
Walker, 7/19/07.
Source: Reed, G.
Walter, History of Sacramento County,
California With Biographical Sketches, Pages 967-968. Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, CA.
1923.
© 2007 Vicky Walker.