FEBRUARY 25, 1928


Published Every Saturday by and for Employees of the Los Angeles Railway

Janet Converse, Publicity Manager

W. T. Shelford, Editor




Standing, left to right: A. Miller, W. G. Cleveland, A. F.  Baldwin, A. K. Miller, Seated: Guy Whiting, A. S. Jarvis,
J. D. Smith, H. H. Baxter.


Conning Tower And Crossing



These fellows have all worked in high positions -- that is, at an altitude of several feet -- in towers, and some of them still have a somewhat elevated position in the two remaining towers still in use. 


In the back road is Albert Miller, who works traffic at 3rd and Main.  Miller is a native of Illinois.  He is now in his twenty-fifth year of service with the Company.


W. G. Cleveland works the 9th and Main tower in the day-time.  Cleveland is an old-timer having had years of experience as switchman and brakeman on the steam-roads.  He came to California in 1894 and began as gripman on the old cable cars and later, when the lines were electrified, he was engaged as switchman.


A. F. Baldwin works traffic at 2nd and Broadway.  The hails from Minnesota and has been with Company since August, 1899.  Baldwin put in five years as motorman and later as switchman.


A. K. Miller works traffic at 1st and Broadway.  Starting in 1904, Miller was a motorman at Division One.  Later he went to Division Two and from there to Division Three.  Miller has won a reputation as an efficient information bureau along with his duties as a traffic man.


G. E. Whiting is Towerman at 9th and Main, nights, and has been with the Company since January 17, 1903.  The hails from Portage, Wisconsin and worked as a telegraph operator for the C. & N. W. and Santa Fe Railways for a number of years.


A. S. Jarvis is from Missouri.  He started with the Company the first time in November, 1906, resigned, and later was re-employee in June, 1920.  He is Night Towerman at 2nd and Spring.


J. D. Smith is an old railroad man.  He has had considerable experience as brakeman, conductor and fireman.  Smith came to Los Angeles in October, 1901, and entered the service of the Company as a motorman.  Smith has been a towerman since 1904 and is at present working days in the tower at 2nd and Spring.


H. H. Baxter hails from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  In April, 1918 he started with the Company as Motorman at Division Three.  On November 1st, 1922 he was appointed Regular Towerman at the Plaza.  At the present time he is working traffic at Temple Block.





Left to right: Conductors A. J. Vreeland, O. A. Croxdale, J. F. Bray, E. G. Koller, Conductor-Line Instructor C. C. Lee, Conductors J. S. Ennis, J. A. Ganann.


Conductors A. J. Vreeland of Division Five, Conductors O.  A. Croxdale, J. F. Bray, E. G. Koller, of Division Two, and Conductor-Line Instructor C. C. Lee of Division One, are commended by Mr. J. M. Mack, whose letter is quoted: "When riding the cars a few days ago, I could not help but notice the courteous, cheerful manner in which these conductors preformed their various duties.  The railway is to be congratulated for its good judgment in employing such men as these."


For Conductors J. S. Ennis and J. A. Ganann, both of Division Five from Mrs. I. May Throop, who writes: "Please extend special bouquets to Nos. 2700 and 3194 for their very courteous treatment of an elderly woman who was taken past her stop through no fault of theirs."



Left to right: Conductors W. P. Durbin, R. C. Hawkins, Motorman P. G. Roberts, Conductor G. C. Parsons, S. D. Selby, J. D. Sweeten.


For Conductor W. P. Durbin of Division Five, and Conductors R. C. Hawkins of Division Three from Mrs. Susan Higdon before they're never-failing courtesy to passengers, willingness to give information and cheerful manner.


For Motorman P. G. Roberts of Division Three from Ms. Edna Heyen for his courtesy, consideration and pleasant manner to all his patrons.


For Conductor G. C. Parsons of Division Three from Mrs. B. F. Jones for his courteous and obliging manner in advising her regarding transfer points.


For Conductor S. D. Selby of Division Two from Donald Chalaire for kindness in lending him car fare.


For Conductor J. D. Sweeten of Division One from J. W. Coulter for his courtesy in coming to him and giving him the extra change, when he dropped a quarter in the fare box by mistake.  Mr. Coulter includes: "Being a native of Los Angeles, I am proud of our railway system."




Professional Piano Accordion; Italian make; cost $375, for $200; in splendid condition; also Five-Tube Radiograph, like new; cost $125, for $25.  Motorman W. J. Cripps, Division Three.


At Sacrifice to Close and Estate.  Five room house, wonderfully well built, with hardwood floors, cement porch, patio, etc., on one acre near Hawthorne.  Large garage with tool room; chicken house, fruit trees, etc.; land faces on two paved streets, one boulevard.  Cost $8500.  Apply W. H. Stevens, Room 200, Los Angeles Railway Bldg.



The above illustration of the most difficult feat of administering a huge Eskimo pie to a helpless victim has been kept in cold storage since the last heavy snow.  The scene is Big Pines, the cast of characters, with the exception of Frank Gerrard, is recruited from South Park Shops.  They are, left to right, Cecil Gerrard, Arthur L. Gerrard, Harold Shelford, Frank Gerrard and Sid Ormston, as the helpless victim.



Little Barbara Wright Is Winner of Hawaii Trip

We ask you confidentially now -- isn't she sweet?  She is little Barbara E. Wright, eight-months old daughter of Conductor K. F. Wright of Division Three.


With the buttons on his best strained to a breaking point, "K. F." proudly announced that Barbara is the winner of the Daily News-Metropolitan Theater Perfect Baby Contest held recently.  She is rated as 98.5 percent perfect, according to Dr. A. V. Nasatir, Superintendent of Child Welfare for the City Health Department.  Thousands of babies were entered in the contest, and the occasion was held over a period of time to definitely determine the most perfect baby in Southern California.


The prize awarded is a trip to a Hawaii and return or Mrs. Wright and Baby Barbara on one of the palatial liners that ply between that port and Los Angeles.


During their absence "K. F." will have a wonderful opportunity to be housemaid and cook.  Wright has been with the Company since April 1st, 1923, and has established an excellent record as a conductor as well as been a proud daddy to a prize-winning baby.



New Tie Tamper Tamping Ties

If the noise were reported along with the this picture, it would give you some idea of the activity of Foreman Sam Bevilacqua’s gang working on Pacific Boulevard in Huntington Park, and the part Tie Tamper No. 21 is contributing in furnishing compressed air to the pneumatic hammers that pack the rock under the ties.


This new tamper is made up of compressors and motors which were formally Tampers Nos. 1 and 2.  These units have been reconditioned and mounted on a discarded White chassis.  The tank capacity has been largely increased and the former belt drive has given way to a new gear drive.


Six lines of hose may be used at the same time, and each line takes care of two hammers and in this manner twelve hammers can be operated simultaneously.


This new unit has been put on a big job and is a valuable acquisition to the Engineering Department.


Division Assignments

To Division One: Motor man A. P. Bradshaw, Conductors J. J. Kuns, Jr., J. F. Laverty, M. G. Pursel.

To Division Two: Motor man J. B. Hall, Conductor G. W. Williams, G. Lawrence.

To Division Five: Conductors M. L. Parker, W. M. Alward.


A Tale of Wall from Conductor Haynes

A miscellaneous report from Conductor L. C. Haynes operating on Line "N" tells how he solved the problem of why he had been short in his turn-in three times within a few weeks.  He had a rush hour load and had his back turn to the fare box, helping passengers to board.  His changer was hanging on the fare box.  Suddenly he heard his changer clicking and turned around just a time to see a young man jerked his hand away from it and dropped it to his side, closed.  Now, while he did not see the man take the money, he was morally certain that he had it, because the click of the changer was unmistakable.


Conductor Hayne's advice to conductors is never, under any circumstances, to gain a changer on the fare box.


Hanging anything on the fare box is a practice that should be discontinued by all conductors, as there is a possibility of much loss in this way.  For instance, bus tickets are sometimes, on the fare box and the loss of these tickets is just the same as a cash loss.


Fair and Forty

The "220 And Over Club" (weight, not age) has been raiding the Uniform Department, according to Dick Windsor, Manager, whose states that for the past two weeks the yardage has decreased considerably in consequence.  Those responsible were not fat but just pleasantly plump.  Prominent among them was Motorman E. C. Yarger who was fitted and had his uniform delivered in twenty-two minutes.  Yarger likes the uniform and service, and Dick Windsor admits that the Uniform Department aims to give service, with the slogan: "We are leaders, not followers."


Motor Coach Division

by Elmer Wood

The best boner of the season was pulled by Operator F. W. Barnes "Doby" and his Conductor, A. F. Munsell.  They were given Coach No. 1009 the other morning and Munsell mistakenly seated himself in coach No. 709 which was standing next to 1009 and began making out his cards.  Barnes rushed out of the Division, jumps in 1009 and went for Fifth and Hill.  When "Doby" crossed Twelve and Main he discovered his conductor was missing, so stopped and looked to see if he was on top, underneath or running behind.  Not been able to find him, he proceeded on to the line terminal Munsell became alarmed when his Operator failed to pull out 709 and upon inquiry found he had already left so caught for the morning pull out and joined "Doby" at Fifth and Hill.


Who was the Operator seeing running east on Sixteenth Street the other morning with his putties under his arm and his shoes tongues flapping.  Let's all guess.  It's a usual occurrence, eh, what?


Supervisors C. R. Bowe and W. R. Terry Weill resume their regular shifts March 1st.  You can easily guess which one is sorry and which one is glad.


Operator C. W. Waters is now on a 30 days' leave of absence.


Garage News

J. O. Doerr, Mechanic on the First Shift, it is glad to be back at work after having the mumps for two weeks.


Mechanic's J. C. Hiestand and D. G. Cutlip from the Second, L. Hargrave from the Third Shift, have all been transferred to the First Shift.


We take pleasure in introducing the following new man: S. G. Adams and E. Bowlin, both Mechanics on the Second Shift.  S. F. Smith, formerly in the M. of W. Department, has transferred to the Garage and is also on the same shift.



by Jack Bailey

Truckman E. G. Sundeen has returned after being on the sick list for several weeks.


An Irish surprise party was encountered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Tom O'Connell last week-end.  Many of Tom's fellow electricians were there with their friends.  Those in persons of E. H. Ormston, S. J. Hickson and J. C. Schnell are well known at the shops.


Electricians M. Weller and R. Sloan survived a fifteen minute endurance flight over the city last Saturday.


Truckman Roy Baxter was called home Wednesday last week on account of a burst to water pipe.  That's something to get all wet about.


Electrician H. Heuer was off first part of the week on account of illness.


W. Kirby is on the Truck Shop sick list this week.


With about ten minutes to finish the job, we have Painters C. Caringella stepping on it and  C. A. Fisher in it.  Not taking time to make a fuss, Caringella uses the Fisher shoe for a paint bucket while the latter finish the job barefooted.  This is quite a treat for the onlookers.


Division One

by H. N. Cole

The well known companion pinnacle players, Conductor Paul Huppert and G. W. Wagner, have come out of seclusion and are at it again.  Quite a while they have not been heard from and it is thought by some of the boys that they were in seclusion to perfect a new code of signals.  Anyway, they beat three games out of five in a series of games played with their most antagonistic rivals, namely, Motormen, Tom Forrester and Hill O'Hern.  They are playing all comers and are walking away with almost every game, showing they are in good form.


Conductor Lee Atkins says when he gets on the other side he hopes he will be able to find a chess game going on.  He comes down about an hour before his run pulls out every morning and gives a yell and immediately you will see Register Clerk P. T. Noteman join him at the table and both are happy.


Motorman-Line Instructor F. R. Jones is taking advantage of the lull in breaking in students, and is taking ten days off to rest up.


Motorman J. H. Alexander is walking around all dressed up.  He is taking ten days off.


Conductor George Evans who has been on the sick list for ten days, reported for duty last Wednesday.


Motorman J. T. Daley of the "N" Line is reported quite ill, having been on the sick list for several days.


Motorman I. J.  Madsen, who has been on leave for about 30 days has reported for work.  He is looking fine and is rarin' to go.


Conductor C. O. Graham, formerly on a day run on the "R" Line, has bid in an early night run on the "N" Line.


Conductors are warned to keep your eyes open and their hands on their changer, as about nine-tenths of the conductors out of Division One has been touched for sums of from two to eight dollars at a time, and some have been robbed as many as three times.


Division Two

by E. A. Moxley

A few days ago as a woman and her child were leaving the front end of Motorman R. R. McFall’s car, the child explained, "Oh!  Mother, look at the baby Motorman."


Motorman H. J. Flaherty stopped his car the other day to pick up a nice shining nickel.  As he bent over to pick it up, his watch dropped out of the shirt pocket and crashed to the pavement.  It cost him six dollars and a half to have it fixed up.  Don't know what kind of luck you could call that.


Conductor E. L. Wilson laid off the last part of the run he was working on the twentieth, and was married to Miss Florence Jones.  Congratulations.


The small son of Clerk B. I. Derry was injured Monday at 48th and Hoover.  It was necessary to take five stitches in his head, but he is getting along fine.


Conductor O. A. Palmer is home from the hospital.  Feels very weak and is not sure when he will be able to return to work, but here's hoping it won't be long before he is back on the job.


Conductor C. E. Lange who has been sick for several weeks is up and a round, but isn't feeling so good.


Motorman J. A. Godwin is getting along pretty fair after a long siege of bed and crutches.  He is able to stand on his bum leg for a short time, but is pretty weak.


Conductors L. C. Welch and R. Wilkins are still missing on the "H." Line.  They are about the same.


Division Three

by L. Volner

Conductor L. F. Barnes is on the sick list on account of blood poisoning in one of his hands.


Motorman Hansen is off duty suffering from an attack of the flu.


Conductor Cisney is off for a few days having his tonsils cared for.


After five days off duty on account of a bruised leg.  Conductor F. C. McKibbon is once more on the job.


The smiling face of Flagman "Bill" Bailey has been greatly missed from his regular posts on the San Fernando Road and the boys were wondering just what was wrong.  He has been suffering from appendicitis but expects to return this week.


Conductor G. C. Rowe has returned from Neosho, Missouri, where he went to attend the funeral of his father who passed away a few weeks ago.  Mr. Rowe expects that his mother will come to California for an extended visit in the near future.


Conductor Frank Mead has discarded his crutches and expects to return to duty in the near future.  While entertaining the children at a recent Christmas party, Frank suffered a painful bruise.


Division Four

by C. J. Knittle

E. E. Johnson Batting for C. J. Knittle.

A new cafe has been opened across the street from Division Four by Mrs. C. Roach, wife of Motorman Cockie Roach.  It is known as the Service Cafe, and Cockie says it's going fine.


Alex Cameron is back on the job again in the Mechanical Depart., after being off a couple of months with a broken arm, the results of an argument with his "flivver."


Motorman M. L. Hart has taken a week off to visit a small town in a nearby southern republic.


Motorman J. B. Keller is taking sixty days to go east on business.


Another new automobile is to be added to those parked in the front of the Division each day, namely Motorman M. M. Aufderheide with his new Hudson Coach.


Motorman R. P. Beckman is on the sick list and is expected back soon with a lot of new China to replace the teeth he had pull.


Division Five

by Fred Mason.

Motorman H. A. Reeves started out on a seven days' vacation last Monday to see the world from behind a steering wheel.  He bought himself a Chevrolet Coach and spent the first three days in learning to drive.  During these three days he used one gallon of gasoline.  That sounds like an economy run.  He has only pull one boner though, and that on his first day.  At 54th and Western he went against the signal and had to back up, and, naturally, got out to put up his front trolley and change handles.


Motorman H. V. Cage likes his vacations early.  He's off for a couple of weeks just going here and there.


We've got a motorman who never will forget February 22nd, Washington's Birthday.  He has four children and they weren't sure whether school was going to be open that day, so his wife asked him about it.  He replied "Gosh no.  What, go to school on Washington's Birthday?"  The kids got a holiday and when he got in off his run he got h--.


Today is pay-day, so just to make the world look brighter, we'll ask you, "Have you paid your income taxes yet?"


A very tough looking individual was walking past the switch shack a couple of days ago, displaying one of the best "shiners" seen on this side of this city by a long count.  After the guy had gone well out of hearing distance "Heine" Heinzman said "Gee, but that bird has got a great eye for color."


Don't forget the dance tonight.




Transcribed by Nancy Pratt Melton.

© 2008 Nancy Pratt Melton