San Diego County
EDWARD T. LANNON
Edward T. Lannon, who has
successfully engaged in law practice in San Diego since 1909, maintains
well-equipped offices at 948 Third Avenue.
He is a native of Alexandria, Virginia, a son of John and Johanna
Valentine (Reddy) Lannon. John Lannon
was for thirty years in active business at Alexandria as a wholesale grocer.
Wharf” was next to that of the old Alexandria and Washington Ferry
Company. In the “Gay Nineties” visitors
to Washington made the trip to Mount Vernon by boat, and so were afforded a
view of Alexandria from the Potomac River.
“Lannon’s Corner” is at Cameron and Oronoka streets where the Stepping Stones are. Small boys use the stones at all times,
grown-ups only in wet weather.
The family numbered three sons and
two daughters, of whom John David, a New York lawyer, and James P., captain, U.
S. N., are now living.
An uncle, James P., was killed at
the age of seventeen in the first battle of the Civil War. He was a member of the Robert Emmett Brigade
of the Seventeenth Virginia Regiment, C. S. A.
This regiment was made up of residents of Alexandria.
Edward T. Lannon attended Potomac
Academy and the University of Virginia in his native state and subsequently
entered the University of Colorado, from which he was graduated with the degree
of Bachelor of Arts in 1905, while two years later the same institution
conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was admitted to the Oklahoma bar in 1907
and during the two succeeding years engaged in practice at El Reno,
Oklahoma. In 1909 he was admitted to the
California bar and took up the work of his chosen profession in San Diego in
association with John B. Mannix, under the firm name of Mannix &
Lannon. The senior member of the firm
passed away in 1913 since when Mr. Lannon has continued in practice
independently, specializing in bank and business law. A review of the career of the late John B.
Mannix may be found on another page of this work. Mr. Lannon was appointed United States
Referee in Bankruptcy in 1914 and held that office until 1926. He was for a number of year’s city Judge of
Coronado, California, where he resides, and he has membership in the San Diego,
California State and American Bar Associations.
Mr. Lannon married Alice Mannix, a
daughter of John B. and Mary E. (Walsh) Mannix.
A separate biography of Mrs. Mary E. Mannix, widely known author of San
Diego, appears in another part of this publication. Mr. and Mrs. Lannon reside at 638 Adella Lane
in Coronado, California.
Mr. Lannon has been a member of the
Democratic county committee of San Diego and was one of the four-minute men on
the local speakers’ bureau. He is a
communicant of the Catholic Church and fraternally is affiliated with the
Knights of Columbus and with San Diego Lodge, No. 168, B. P. O. E. His name is also on the membership rolls of
the San Diego Chamber of Commerce, the Amphion Club,
the Coronado Country Club, the University Club and the Phi Delta Theta college
V. Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: California of the South
Vol. III, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 225-226, Clarke Publ.,
Chicago, Los Angeles,
© 2012 V. Gerald Iaquinta.