San Diego County
HARRY J. PLACE
††††††††††† For nineteen years county law librarian, H. J. Place is
also capably discharging the duties of court commissioner and has devoted much
of his life to public service, figuring in the public life of San Diego county for more than three decades. He was born in
Livingston county, Illinois, March 29, 1860,
a son of John T. and Phoebe (Rumery) Place,
whose declining years were spent in San Diego, where the former passed away in
1907 and the latter in 1922.
††††††††††† In 1887, when twenty-seven years of age, H. J. Place
located in San Diego and opened a real estate office. Due to his foresight and
sound judgment he prospered in business and was closely identified with
development work here for five years. His parents paid him a visit in 1887 and
spent the winter seasons in California until 1901, when they also took up their
abode in San Diego.
††††††††††† Since 1892 H. J. Place has had official connection with
public affairs in San Diego county and in length of
service to the county he holds an unusual record. Alert and vigorous, he is
still young in spirit and interests and his appearance belies his seventy-two
years. As a constable he entered the arena of public affairs in 1892 and was
retained in the position for twenty-two years, also acting as deputy United
States marshal during sixteen years of that period. In 1914 he was appointed to
his present post, taking charge of the well stocked law library in the county
court house, and has proved a faithful, efficient custodian, while his work as
court commissioner has also been strongly commended. To every task assigned him
Mr. Place has given his best efforts, for he has a high conception of duty
and honor, and few public officials in southern California have so enviable a
record of service.
††††††††††† On St. Valentineís day of 1884
Mr. Place was married to Miss Stella S. Teter and two
children were born to them. The son, Roy, lives in Tucson, Arizona, and is
regarded as one of the foremost architects in that state. He drew the plans for
the new court house at Tucson, the new Pioneer Hotel, and has also designed
many university buildings and schools. He has a wife and two children and his
family exchanges visits with that of his father each year. The daughter, Irene,
became the wife of Oliver W. Choute, a
member of a prominent family of San Diego, and since her husbandís death has
resided in Hollywood, California. Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Place have
an attractive home at 1253 Twelfth avenue, San Diego.
In politics Mr. Place is a stalwart republican and has been active in
behalf of the party. He is deeply attached to his city and cooperates in all
well defined movements for its growth and betterment. In 1887 he joined the
Knights of Pythias, becoming a charter member of Red
Star Lodge, No. 153, and every year since that time has been elected a
delegate to the Grand Lodge of the organization. He also has fraternal
connections with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Woodmen of
the World. In manner he is quiet and unassuming but possesses many sterling
traits of character, as his fellow citizens attest,
and is known and esteemed throughout San Diego county.
Transcribed by Marie Hassard
05 May 2012.
of the South Vol. II, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages
381-382, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis.
© 2012 Marie Hassard.