HONORABLE PHILIP CONLEY
Philip Conley was born in Madera, California; son of Judge William M. and Emma (Bedesen) Conley.
He graduated from the University of California in 1916 with the degree of A.B., also studied at Harvard Law School and University of Paris, France. He was admitted to the bar at Los Angeles, January, 1920.
Judge Conley was associated with firms: Conley & Conley (Madera), 1920-21; deputy district attorney, Fresno County, 1921-22; Lindsay & Conley (Fresno) 1922-24; Conley & Conley, (Fresno) 1925-48; he was appointed to Superior Court, Fresno County, by Governor Earl Warren, taking office on November 22, 1948, and was elected for the full term beginning in January, 1950.
Prior to his appointment, he was a member of the Fresno County Bar Association (president, 1942); and State Bar of California (member, Committee on Continuing Education, 1944-48). He is a member of American Bar Association; Harvard Law School Association of Northern California (member of Council, Post No. 884; Fresno Parlor No. 24, N.S.G.W. Fraternities: Kappa Sigma and Phi Delta Phi.
During the first World War he was a first lieutenant, Field Artillery, U. S. Army and served overseas in the A.E.F. for seventeen months at the Saumur Artillery School and in the Fifth Field Artillery, First Division.
Married Lucetta Ransom (now deceased), 1928; one son: Philip Ransom Conley.
Residence: 718 Carmen Avenue, Fresno 4, California.
Office: Department 2, Superior Court, Court House, Fresno 1, California.
Transcribed by Joyce Rugeroni.
Source: Eminent Californians 1953, by Lee E. Johnson & C. W. Taylor. Page 539, C. W. Taylor Publ., Palo Alto, California, 1953.
© 2014 Joyce Rugeroni.